Specific Plant Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have what I believe is a PICKEREL, BLUE (Pontederia cordata). I can’t find the tag that came with the plant. Anyways the plant is supposed to be winter hardy(I am in zone 5), I had it on the edge of my pond over winter, the bottom part of the root system in the water so I froze up solid this winter. It has yet to show any signs of life, Is it dead or does it take longer to come back?

Here is a link to the plant https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/product.php?productid=16387&cat=281&page=1

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is pots 2 inches below water surface, they freeze up and are just now coming back up. Give it time bet it will do fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Alright great! I pulled one of my edging rocks out and put this plant in its place in the fall and really like how it fit/looked. I will be patient....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will go down and look , think at this time it is about an inch tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in zone 5 as well, and several of the plants I had all but written off are just now beginning to show some ambition. Addy1 had to tell me to wait a while too. Amazingly, after being frozen solid, they're coming up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - give it time. It's a hardy plant but it can be slow to get started in the spring. I have mine growing right in the pond and every year when I am about ready to give up on it, there it comes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Amazingly, after being frozen solid, they're coming up.

Well think of a natural pond - the marginal plants all freeze every year and yet they keep coming back. We found that the secret is to keep the water level high enough so the roots are completely covered with ice. The one year we turned off the pond for the winter the water level dropped about 6 or 8 inches and all the marginals were exposed. They all died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree, and as strange as it sounds, as soon as the ice starts forming I'm hoping for a foot of snow for the insulating qualities. It sounds counter intuitive, but without it the ice gets deeper and deeper.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave my bog full of water over the winter, the plants come back gang busters. If I drained it they would all die.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
IMG_1583.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pickerel started growing about 2 weeks ago, we have been in the 80s-90 warmer than normal.
pw.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
hmm well you can see the depth the plant is sitting and that's where it was over winter. It is kinda tucked off into a corner being shaded but it shows it as a shade tolerant plant. I will give it another few weeks

Ask a Question