Spira Gira

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have a tank full of duckweed in the house and in my greenhouse pond too, just so I never run out of the tasty duckweed salad for the hungry fish. Good spring food too. If your fish are small and still not eating it all up fast enough, you just net the extra out quite easy and forget toxic chemicals algaecides! Life is toxic enough without chemicals. They are always better solutions in nature. Apple snails grow to the size of an apple and will eat a lot of the duckweed very fast, however should they run out of duckweed, the lillys might start to look tasty too. I used to grow lots of apple snails but they don't winter here in the north, and I no longer keep a pond in the porch cause the dogs used to jump in there when they were puppys and the duckweed would stick to the fur and then they would drag and drip duckweed all over the house!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here's my duckweeds home away from the fish pigs! They can have some now and then but I'll be in charge of doling it out,lol!

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cuz I just got through beautifying it up...............not done yet w/ those empty areas..........it needs more plants.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, That's a cool idea! But even cooler is that View! I'm like Sissy, never seen THAT before, I guess I never relized you were right there in the mountains, very pretty even for a duck weed pond! lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks sissy, colleen and Larkin. Lol colleen I'm jw, I just say I love my goldies above my avatar.

Larkin we are right at the foothills before the mountains start, they are aways up. We are only about 300ft above sea level. That mountain you see is called Ebey Mt.
Arlington, Washington

WhiteHorseMountain_468x280.jpg

Arlington is the northern gateway to the scenic Mountain Loop Highway. Photo of Whitehorse Mountain, elevation 6,790 ft.
The City of Arlington, which is only an hour's drive north of Seattle, began as a lumber town more than a hundred years ago. Today, many historical buildings remain which now house quaint shops and restaurants. And a newly designed main street shows off the small town charm of Arlington.
Situated near the banks of the Stillaguamish River at the junction of State Routes 9 and 530, Arlington is the northern gateway to the scenic Mountain Loop Highway which offers world class hiking and views of waterfalls and mountain peaks.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
JW, it looks like a very nice place to live. I grew up in Medicine Hat, surrounded by the "bad lands". I think its nice here too, but then I see beauty in everything, even the bugs. I never leave town hardly anymore, can't bear to leave the "pond and the puppies" so I vacation out back by the pond. I will never get tired of looking at my pond. It's so nice to hear about other people in the world that have ponds too. Love all the pictures too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty jw! beautiful area you live in. We are at 500 or so feet, can't really see the mountains around us and ours are not as pretty as yours. (The eastern mountains are hills to the westerners)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks guys, lots of pretty places in this country and I'd like to see them all.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
JW what a wonderful view. My daughter and son-in-law are leaving Ky on Sunday and headed for your beautiful part of the country. I look forward to being able to visit them this fall there.

I love your little duckweed pond. I've got some in a pot on my deck with my mini lily and will give it to my Koi as a treat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks I enjoy the little duckweed pond. Just got through putting rocks around the edge of that garden area to try and keep the moles from digging tunnels up around the edge. We'll see how that goes!

Bet you will miss your DD and SIL. Seattle right? That's about 50miles south from us. Nice weather right now. Sometimes we have very nice full summers...............other times not so much.

Ask a Question