• Total voters

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just started treating 2 years ago after a bad bacterial outbreak. So far so good this year and the temps have been all over the place.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never new you did anything special in spring except clean out gunk and leaves and get your filters back up and working after the winter .Never really heard of those things except salt .Just general cleanup here and get filters up and working and waterfall running

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i wasnt aware they made a preventative for spring...so how does that work,more winter or do we go right to summer? myself, ive always enjoyed springtime!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no more winter thats for sure do not want to prevent spring from coming either love daffodills and all the spring blooms lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
I never new you did anything special in spring except clean out gunk and leaves and get your filters back up and working after the winter .Never really heard of those things except salt .Just general cleanup here and get filters up and working and waterfall running

Same here as you except I do start using barley bales to help with string algae, the sooner I get a hand on that the better. I use salt year round so it's not just a spring thing. I don't let much build up occur during the winter and the only spring cleaning really I did was pond water rinsed my matala pads, and backflushed the bio balls, then the lifting of rocks to keep things tidy but even then there really wasn't that much when I stirred all that up. If I had installed a bottom drain and seperator I think I could probably eliminate that task also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My biggest problem here is all the farms when they kick up dust from plowing there fields and quilt batting usually helps with that I just put it in the filters and after 5 days wring it out hose it off and put it back .Never knew farms could make so much of a mess of things .I add salt year round too fishin4cars and back wash everything also .This week end the races are in Martinsville and will be dealing with the traffic out on the highway so stay home and hide away .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
My biggest problem here is all the farms when they kick up dust from plowing there fields and quilt batting usually helps with that I just put it in the filters and after 5 days wring it out hose it off and put it back .Never knew farms could make so much of a mess of things .I add salt year round too fishin4cars and back wash everything also .This week end the races are in Martinsville and will be dealing with the traffic out on the highway so stay home and hide away .
No, you go to the track and enjoy the race! LOL, then come home afterwards and have a cold one while you relax by the pond! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never been a big fan of all the noise and smell of the races .Went there with the rescue squad the first year and was down on the field .Think I was half deaf for a month and was yelling all the time because I could not hear myself talk .At first I was thinking my mouth was moving and nothing was coming out .I had ear plugs in and that did not help .I live 20 minutes or so from the track and if the wind is blowing my way I can hear and smell them .thats enough for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have read numerous articles that say salt has the greatest benefit in the Spring. Supposedly there is the greatest buildup of harmful bacteria in the pond in the Spring and that is when your fish have the weakest resistance to the bacteria and the salt will help kill the bacteria. So this year I am adding salt now and will discontinue it in a month or so unless a fish needs a salt bath later on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you add salt just for the fish? or for the pond and good bacteria in general. ? cause I have only 5 lil fish in one large pond at this time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I add salt for both and it helps fish slime coat and keeps bacteria down .I guess cometkeith does the same too. I have koi so was told they need it .I always thought you had more fish than that with your big ponds addy .Do you have more fish in Arizona or none

Ask a Question