• dimilin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
salt also adds electrolites,trace minerals, helps to inibit algeas, helps control parasites, encourages a strong slime coat, and blocks the absorbtion of nitrites into the fishes bloodstream (nitrite poisoning is also known as brown blood disease)...i maintain a salt level in both ponds indoors and out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I add salt for both and it helps fish slime coat and keeps bacteria down .I guess cometkeith does the same too. I have koi so was told they need it .I always thought you had more fish than that with your big ponds addy .Do you have more fish in Arizona or none

We were just starting to add fish last year, when the temperature took a dive and stayed down, so five are all we have right now. Once it warms we will add some fish.

In arizona there are a lot of goldies, shubies, and mosquito fish. Not sure of the number, but my pond guy says the stocking level is at a good level, lol. I have not been back there in over two years now.

koiguy1969 said:
salt also adds electrolites,trace minerals, helps to inibit algeas, helps control parasites, encourages a strong slime coat, and blocks the absorbtion of nitrites into the fishes bloodstream (nitrite poisoning is also known as brown blood disease)...i maintain a salt level in both ponds indoors and out.

Thanks i will add some salt, will look back at the threads on the amount to add. I also have a salt test kit to check levels.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi guy do you keep plants in your ponds .I know when my salt content is to high they die

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I have plants to think of too, in the bog and pond. More plants then fish lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So how many fish are you getting addy and are you staying with goldies or getting other kinds since your pond is so big .Must be really nice when your waterfall is running .I am looking into getting a solair wind and solar turbine mounts on your house and has a box near your electrical box near your regular and just switches back and forth between grid and non grid .Only 3 thousand dollars for one installed

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing sissy no kidding plants are easy and they love my bog!
We are sticking with goldies and shubunkins, no desire for koi, even though they are real pretty. Solar wind turbine? not just a wind turbine?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope both and the government gives you 30% percent rebate on it .I have been checking it out for 6 months and finally found person in Bassett VA that has one and I'm going ther to look at it monday she is totally delighted with it and she has a koi pond too can't wait .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
.15 % is the most you want with plants...i follow the simple 1&1/4 cups per 100 gals outdoors with plants...2&1/2 cups indoors without.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks I will slowly add salt and keep track of the levels, 9000 gallons (pond only) 90 cups plus lol need to factor in the bog and the stream with its 5 ponds lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dyocore.com or solair.com wind and sun turbines they are not real big either .Can I ask koiguy i use a pvc pipe I have in my filters and pour salt in the pipes to add salt is it bad to add it trough the filter .If I only need a little I have one of those pool chemical floats that the put in swimming pools you know the blue and white things and I put some salt in there to slowly desolve is that better

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
solar salt at Lowes or Home Depot, Menards wherever $4.50 a 40 or 50 lb bag. maybe you could weigh a cup full and multiply by 90 and know how much to use by weight. example: if acup weighs 1/2 pound you need 45 lbs... use one bag!

Reaction score
Hhmmm....I've never added anything in the spring but some beneficial bacteria that is all natural to jumpstart filters.But I qt all my fish in stocks before they go to the pond and treat them with prazi or whatever else there. If only one or two fish are sick I would remove them and treat them in the qt. This kept me from every having a parasite outbreak in my whole pond. I figured this out real quick keeping aquarium fish;)

As for bacteria, to me that usually means water quality issue or overstocking, secondary to parasites, big water change, cleaning, and more filtration or less fish. If there are sick fish treat them in clean qt tank. It is cheaper that way too because you don't have to use as much medicine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the solar salt but here in VA 3.85 a bag and if I go to Reidsville NC it is only 3.35 a bag

Ask a Question