Spring cleaning is it really necessary every year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Spring cleaning usually doesn't take much time, but I look at my pond and I hate to disturb it when it doesn't look like it needs to be clean
...during cleaning, all I usually do in the lower pond is a quick vacuum on the bottom to collect the very few leaves that managed to fall in.... to clean the upper part of my pond, I drain it completely, vacuum, then I rinse all the pads and media in the waterfalls and skimmer box and that's all I do
I was wondering since my pond is very clean and the test results show good water quality, should I even shut it off and carry on with the usual Spring cleaning or is it better off if I just leave it alone this year?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hardly touch my pond, do remove a few leaves now and then. It does fine.
I never clean my pond. I scoop the few leaves that wander in and leave the rest be. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When it warms up I usually hook up the pre-filter and scoop some junk off the pond floor, maybe top off w/some fresh water and call it good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @Lisak1 , @addy1 and @bettasngoldfish
More than whether or not I should clean the pond, I should've asked you guys whether or not I should shut off the pump and rinse the fall's pads/media, would doing that reset the cycle of the pond?
I do rinse the mechanical filter pad every 2 or 3 days, that's what's keeping the water so clear

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I should shut off the pump and rinse the fall's pads/media, would doing that reset the cycle of the pond?
Rinse away, but don't use chlorinated water it will kill off the good bacteria. (btw I have no filter pads, others might have better ideas.........................disclaimer!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks @Lisak1 , @addy1 and @bettasngoldfish
More than whether or not I should clean the pond, I should've asked you guys whether or not I should shut off the pump and rinse the fall's pads/media, would doing that reset the cycle of the pond?
I do rinse the mechanical filter pad every 2 or 3 days, that's what's keeping the water so clear
If your filter pads are primarily mechanical filtration then the easiest method is to hose them down. I do this with mine as they function solely as mechanical filtration for my pond. That doesn't mean bacteria won't breed there just I'm not concerned about losing those colonies. If your pads are a prefilter to your pump it's best to clean them to prevent the pump from over working. I base my decision after the initial spring cleaning on how the water is flowing from the waterfall. I use Matala pads( 2 different courses) and quilt batting behind the Matala pads. I do pull the quilt batting every two weeks once the weather warms up. The quilt batting does a great job catching really fine particles.
I also scoop any leaves that have accumulated at the bottom. I guess I'm an odd ball because I actually enjoy the maintenance more than just looking at the pond. It also gives me a chance to interact with the fish because they will swim around where I'm working. I guess they are wondering what this goof ball is doing now.o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the blue matala pad above my pump in the skimmer. The leaves and little sticks and such collect in the skimmer basket - but that blue pad gets gross! As Gordo mentioned, it's good to clean that out so the pump doesn't overwork - trying to pull water through a gnarly pad! I always just hosed it with my hand held sprayer. But my neighbor found the most wonderful little high pressure nozzle. It is just about 2 inches long and itty bitty. (Got it at Lowe's.) But I swear it turns my garden hose into a mini pressure washer! It shoots the muck and algae right out of the pad. It still takes a little time to get all those intertwined fibers totally cleared out. But it is SO much faster!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If your filter pads are primarily mechanical filtration then the easiest method is to hose them down. I do this with mine as they function solely as mechanical filtration for my pond. That doesn't mean bacteria won't breed there just I'm not concerned about losing those colonies. If your pads are a prefilter to your pump it's best to clean them to prevent the pump from over working. I base my decision after the initial spring cleaning on how the water is flowing from the waterfall. I use Matala pads( 2 different courses) and quilt batting behind the Matala pads. I do pull the quilt batting every two weeks once the weather warms up. The quilt batting does a great job catching really fine particles.
I also scoop any leaves that have accumulated at the bottom. I guess I'm an odd ball because I actually enjoy the maintenance more than just looking at the pond. It also gives me a chance to interact with the fish because they will swim around where I'm working. I guess they are wondering what this goof ball is doing now.o_O

I too enjoy the maintenance of the pond, I wasn't trying to skip the labor, I was just trying to figure out what was best for the pond, this particular year since I see no muck, the pond has been running, and the falls are amazingly clean
My skimmer box is my only mechanical filter, that pad gets rinsed clean every few days. My bio filter pads get rinsed clean only once a year during Spring cleaning, I use a garden hose ( for the pressure) and well water.
I guess I should rinse the pads as usual and leave the rest of the pond be.

Thank you so much everyone, you've been a great help! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got three stages of filtration, I guess. On the intake side a basket and filter brushes in the skimmer (before the pump). Those I pull about weekly and give a good hosing off. In my waterfall filter, I have a couple of matala filters first and then pot scrubbers and bio-balls as biological media. Every month or so I pull that out. The matala filters get hosed down thoroughly. The bags of bio media get swished around pretty vigorously in a tub of pond water.

So similar to what others are saying.

In terms of the pond itself, I'm only in my 2nd spring, but I plan to do nothing more than scoop out leaves and debris that have fallen in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a new pond vac that I got last year (gift from hubby) and I never had a chance to use it yet :oops: I know, I'm bad.....

Gonna have to break it out this year.
I'm curious to know how that works out for you!
I'm currently using a shop vac, it does a good job, but it's a pain to have to stop and empty the dirty water every other minute.... so I'll definitely purchase this vac
https://www.amazon.com/Pondovac-Vac...pID=51CsdFmWmbL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
(or similar) in the near future, that way I can vacuum continuously, while returning the water to the pond

Ask a Question