addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing koiguy, was thinking the same weight a cup = pounds needed.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
garlic is a natural antibiotic,I dont know about parasites but bacterial disease, yes, it could help!!

i think its supposed to work for both, but im by no means certain ... all i know is all my fish are healthy and happy :0)

Reaction score
you are so right. i should have put a "none" category. doesn't appear I can do that now.

I'm tempted to add salt because of it's other benefits, but my wife is a big time gardener and we use the recycled water during water changes for her garden and flowers. so she requests we don't use it unless there's an actual problem.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well if Barley and Bentonite Clay count here then I have used them both. I've never used salt in my pond for the 8 or so yrs I've had it. I have enough problems getting certain plants to multiply so I think I'd pass the salt please unless things go awry :rolleyes:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
salt won't hurt most garden plants as long as you do not put much in your pond .When I use mine from my pond I just water it down some and besides some salt is good for the soil .Softens it just like epsom salts does being that it will be so watered down will not hurt flowers .My flowers love it.I do use barley but thats all summer

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
True, epsom salt is good for some plants........why can't you put epsom salt in the pond? Does it have something that would hurt the fish in it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm thats a head scratcher don't know never thought about it maybe it is a good question to put out there

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Magnesium sulfate (or magnesium sulphate) is a chemical compound containing magnesium, sulfur and oxygen, with the formula MgSO4. It is often encountered as the heptahydrate epsomite (MgSO4·7H2O), commonly called Epsom salt

Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate is also used to maintain the magnesium concentration in marine aquaria which contain large amounts of stony corals as it is slowly depleted in their calcification process. In a magnesium-deficient marine aquarium calcium and alkalinity concentrations are very difficult to control because not enough magnesium is present to stabilize these ions in the saltwater and prevent their spontaneous precipitation into calcium carbonate.[5]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ok addy now english for us dummies or am I just the dummy .The would be ocean aquariums and we have ponds any good in ponds since we would not have shell or coral or is it just not cost effective to use or would not change the salt water content .We would end up with really soft fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Salt, also known as table salt, or rock salt, is a mineral that is composed primarily of sodium chloride. It is essential for animal life in small quantities, but is harmful to animals and plants in excess.

Basically two entirely different compounds, epson salts and salt

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so in aquariums with coral they have fish too why would it not hurt those fish is it because they are true salt water fish .I remember in a seafood eatery we went to we saw them adding stuff that looked like salt to a coral tank but I do not remember seeing fish in the tank just all kinds of really pretty coral all colors and sizes and shapes .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your meaning the coral I saw the big tank when I was out in California a couple of years ago somewhere down by the pier

Ask a Question