Spring Start up

Reaction score
Marsh Marigold is in full bloom - I'll have to snap some pics. Two of the canna are coming up (two of the three I wintered outside). Still waiting on the other two and my taro. I've got lilypads on the surface, pickerel, cattails, iris, and crinum lily are all showing lots of new growth, along with the forget-me-not, loosestrife, and another plant who's name I've forgotten...

I put the barley straw pellets in today, hopefully it'll curb the string algae. Filter is running. Fish are getting more active.

What temp do you guys recommend switching from the wheat germ food back to the regular/high growth food? Water is sitting around 55 right now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Water Temp. (°F.)
Feeding Frequency
Food Type

Less than 50ºF.
Do not feed Koi.
Temperatures at 50° F. of more than one month may require supplemental feedings of low protein and high carbohydrates.

50-55ºF
2-3 times a week if Koi are hungry.
High carbohydrate, low protein, laxative type foods. Wheat germ, Cheerios®, squash, lettuce and brown bread.

55-59ºF
4-5 times per week if Koi are hungry.
Add low protein (25%) pellets along with vegetables. Increase quantities gradually as temperature increases.

59ºF
Once per day six days per week.
Low protein (25%) pellets along with high carbohydrate vegetables and fruit.

60-65ºF
Once per day every day.
Gradually increase protein in pellets (35%) and quantity of pellets. Vary diet with vegetables and fruit.

65-72ºF
Once or twice per day.
Bulk of diet should be 35% protein pellets. Add fruits, vegetables, and plankton for variety.

72-80ºF
3 to 4 times per day.
High protein pellets (35% to 40%) with color enhancers. Add plankton, vegetables, fruits, and shrimp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Yay, I was finally able to unplug my heaters this week. Looks like most of my fish made it through the cold winter we had. It looks like I may even have a baby or two and also a frog jumping around. I am looking forward to my cleanout weekend. Not sure when that will be yet as every weekend in April is going to be busy:(. Every spring I do a complete clean out, taking the fish out and powerwashing everything.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
OH YEAH !!!! i can see my pond.. theres a 5" thick slab of ice, but about 1' of open water around the edges....and a layer of red over everything must be the iron in one or more of the rocks..looks like red string algea or blanketweed. i may be opening up earlier than thought this year. were looking at 60* and sunny thursday...YEAH BABY!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Doesn't it feel great? Mine is just a small pond with a falls, but I look forward to hearing the sound of the water. I am looking for start up kits. Anyone have suggestions on who to order from? What do you guys use to open your ponds?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I started feeding about 2 weeks ago
They are very demanding now when i come through the gate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I have been feeding this week. Last year they were really skiddish all summer, never would surface to eat when I was out by the pond. I am hoping to get them started early getting used to me. I LOVE SPRING!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
mheiderscheit said:
Doesn't it feel great? Mine is just a small pond with a falls, but I look forward to hearing the sound of the water. I am looking for start up kits. Anyone have suggestions on who to order from? What do you guys use to open your ponds?

I net out all leaves all winter long
Last week i put a good heavy dose of pond zyme by pondcare and RapiClear flocculent to help move every thing through my filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I do a full water change in the spring. Last year I ordered a spring start up kit, but don't remember where I ordered it from and what was in it. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question