Spring Start up

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Unless the pond temp goes down radically overnight (unlikely). Any food would be digested in less than a day. I started feeding mine the day it hit 56 degrees and they are doing fine. :lol:
Your fish will do fine if you choose to not feed them for 2 weeks however. The choice is yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Water Temp. (°F.)
Feeding Frequency
Food Type

Less than 50ºF.
Do not feed Koi.
Temperatures at 50° F. of more than one month may require supplemental feedings of low protein and high carbohydrates.

50-55ºF
2-3 times a week if Koi are hungry.
High carbohydrate, low protein, laxative type foods. Wheat germ, Cheerios®, squash, lettuce and brown bread.

55- 59ºF
4-5 times per week if Koi are hungry.
Add low protein (25%) pellets along with vegetables. Increase quantities gradually as temperature increases.

59ºF
Once per day six days per week.
Low protein (25%) pellets along with high carbohydrate vegetables and fruit.

60- 65ºF
Once per day every day.
Gradually increase protein in pellets (35%) and quantity of pellets. Vary diet with vegetables and fruit.

65- 72ºF
Once or twice per day.
Bulk of diet should be 35% protein pellets. Add fruits, vegetables, and plankton for variety.

72-80ºF
3 to 4 times per day.
High protein pellets (35% to 40%) with color enhancers. Add plankton, vegetables, fruits, and shrimp.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My water is 60.6 this morning
I feed mine a cold water food a little in the morning and a little at night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I decided to start my spring clean out today. As I started pumping down, I noticed one fish off by himself in the shallow water. When I netted him, he looked like he had some white stuff on him. Is this "ICK"? Is it treatable, should I get him out of there?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it looks like salt specks, then it may very well be Ick. Best to isolate and treat him. You might check the others and salt the pond as a precaution. If you salt the pond remove any plants and bring the level to .3% for a week.
My website has information on salt treatment. The isolated fish might need something stronger (Ick meds) if he is too far advanced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Thanks for all your help. By the looks of the pictures, I don't think it is ich. I guess I will just watch him. When you look at the all the stuff that is sold for fish health, it is almost like standing in the supplement department at Walmart. Do fish need any sort of supplements or vitamins in the spring. I guess I have never done that before, but I am not up to speed on fish health.

I was able to transfer all the fish to the small kids pool, so I think I may start powerwashing while I still have some sunlight. I made the mistake of putting a small container of cattails in a few years back, and boy every year I pull out as many roots as I can, but they still seem to pop up. They would like to take over the place.

Thanks again for all your help, I will be checking back for more valuable information soon,

Reaction score
our pond is 60* for the past few days, the biggest koi was sceen darting under teh rocks where the rest of them are hidding. They have yet to come up for food :-( Hopefully they will be more friendly once we get ther remod done adn they from 250 to 2500 gallons...

rdk

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Microbe- Lift Sludge Away? What do you think of it, and do you think it works? Thank You RDk

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the sludge products are really made for people who have stone covered bottoms to their ponds its a low oxygen bacteria, and microbial mix that breaks down the fecal and organic mud that is created under and between the stones...get rid of the stones and the problem goes with them. but i do use Tetraponds sludge reducer .. i sprinkle it lightly betwwen my ponds edge border stones once in a while when i do water changes and the water level is low enough so the powder mix doesnt float across ponds surface, it settles in the border stones gaps and crevases.

Ask a Question