Stand alone bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the wild they like to grow in and on live peat moss that also grows on constantly wet areas but not a muddy mess

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I missed that part about the 2 feet deep. That sounds like the rule of thumb for a bog/wetland filter. I think the instructions I've seen for most bog gardens describe a much more shallow depth. I saw a good how-to in a book I have. I will go look and post if I can find it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for your help with this little project. I think the purpose of digging a two foot hole is so that the volume of peat mix will hold enough water between rains, thus avoiding me having to water it. We are projected to have above average rain this summer so two feet might be overkill, but won’t hurt. I will skip the drain/recirc pump for now and can always go that route later if needed. It would have been nice to have a sump in that area last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the start of my bog garden. It’s turned hot here, so the digging will have to wait until fall. In the meantime, I enjoy seeing these little cuties outside my kitchen window.
D6FCA72D-6718-4BC8-B96E-FA98E101CFED.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This is the start of my bog garden. It’s turned hot here, so the digging will have to wait until fall. In the meantime, I enjoy seeing these little cuties outside my kitchen window.View attachment 151829
Are those pitcher plants?
They seem more narrow than the ones I'm used to seeing.
They are so cool looking!

There's a huge nature preserve near me that is a gigantic bog. It's really deep peat that was pushed there from the ice age. There are tons of plants, trees ,etc. that are normally not from this area. Some of the most impressive are the pitcher plants.
They have wooden walkways on top of the peat so you can walk through it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That’s what I was thinking too. I suppose you don’t want it to become stagnant though. I’ll probably poke a couple then see how fast it drains, poke a few more if necessary.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pitcher plants will grow in a regular gravel bog as well, as long as you have an area where the gravel is raised. Have a couple in mine they don’t really spread out because of the gravel but are doing well, just stuck in the planting material and added a bunch of sphagnum moss around them for it to spread into a little bit. It doesn’t look anything like @GBBUDD’s pitcher plant bog area, which looks awesome but are doing well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They are babies, and will send out larger pitchers as they get older. That sounds like a wonderful preserve!
Yeah, it's full of all kinds of unusual things not indigenous to the area.

The crazy thing is that you are walking on boardwalks floating on top of the peat.
I forget what the depth of the peat is, but it's crazy deep.

Everything was pushed there by the glaciers.
The guides explain everything and point out all the plants and animal signs.

Ask a Question