STILL Green :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Salt is not an option (nor a cure) for Priscilla's situation. Salt at levels high enough to be an algaecide will kill every aquatic plant in her pond. Even if it could be used, it would not eliminate the source of the problem...elevated N and P levels. Nor will it remove any suspended solids from the water column.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Iv never used aloe with salt sounds interesting, as ever time I add salt I sit round the pond watch the koi like a cat on a hot tin roof, could u please explain more where do u get aleo from in what type of form dose it come in and whats the dosage levels very keen to learn more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Remind me of the age of your pond.
By 'complete clean out' I mean temporarily relocating the fish, completely drain pond, thoroughly clean (not scour) all surfaces with a garden hose, thoroughly clean all filters and refill with fresh, low nutrient level water.

A 50% water change will only reduce Nitrate levels by 50%. In other words, if your Nitrate level was 80, after a 50% water change it will be 40. Assuming that no additional Nitrate is added between changes then after the second 50% water change the Nitrate level would be 20 which is still high enough to support 'green water'. Of course a certain amount of Nitrate will probably be added between changes.
What was your Nitrate reading at last testing?

5160, member: 7131"]Have you always had the same number of fish? If not, what is the approximate time line of adding fish? I am really trying to zero in on the true source of your problem. Need to ask questions.[/QUOTE]
Remind me of the age of your pond.
Sorry meyer I have no plants In my pond its very clinical, I only mentioned salt incase it was a blanket weed problem, your correct about it not curing susspended algae problem, I live in doncaster south Yorkshire england our koi ponds are deep (due to cold) smooth sides no shelfs no rocks or gravel smooth bottoms almost an out door aquarium, so im sorry you are quite right different ponds difference in design don't work for everyone

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The stuff I use has aloe in it but you can add a little more of the regular aloe .i never have .I just buy the slime coat stress with aloe in it .I used it when I had to move my fish when I rebuilt the pond and I also added it to my pond after the salinity level went down in the pond and just before I put the fish back in my pond .I used 1 and half 32 ounce bottles as per directions .I saw them add aloe on a youtube video but it was a fish tank .He talked about the stress coat with aloe in it ,I had used it before but the time before that I got the regular stress coat because the store did not have the one with aloe .I like the aloe one better

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is just around 4 ft deep and one end is just over 4 ft. deep and that is because of Virginia heat and sun in the summer .I could not imagine what Priscilla goes through with that kind of weather year round .No rocks no gravel no shelves and most plants are in the filters and water fall .I feel the suck up the most nutrients there and I know they do because I have to trim the roots once a week .The koi I have destroy plants so I made plnt pockets to hang over the edge of my pond .I had the floating ones but koi would flip them over and they kill frogs also .The taddies in spring clean the stuff off the liner all the way back to black

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stress Coat is one of the many products that one needs to read the fine print. Stress Coat is comprised of Water and Sodium Thiosulfate, which is a de-chlorinating chemical. All Chorine neutralizers contain Sodium Thiosulfate. This reacts with Chorine to form harmless by-products. What is misleading is the claim concerning restoring the slime coat on fish. Sodium Thiosulfate is classified as an irritant. When used in Chlorine free water it irritates the skin of fish prompting the production of slime (Mucous). Any level of irritation to fish must be classified as a stressor. Healthy fish already maintain an adequate slime coat. Unhealthy fish will not sufficiently maintain mucous production, but applying an irritant to force the fish to produce slime (mucous) only stresses an already weakened fish.
No thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had no choice it was all they had at the pet store here .I was filling the pond every day with water straight from my well since it was leaking that bad .I had to do this for a month just to get to half way decent weather in march .I know my well water has iron in it and not sure what else at that time because of the rain .I did not want to hook the hose up to the filtered house water and have the hose bibs freeze.I finally started the rebuild in March after liner arrived and it was not fun and digging it bigger and handling a 20x25 liner all by myself was worse .I know even the pond water I took out was not really so called pond water .There were a total of 6 holes in the liner from whatever chewed through it .I then bought sabbactisun because it is plant based ,just in case

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I built my pond 3 feet high from ground , level and dug down a further three feet no shallow end and also no shelfs or plants I did this to discourage frogs from entering my pond, because belive it or not (I wouldn't if I hadn't have with my own eyes) the resident bull frog had the head of one of my smaller koi's in its mouth and was suffercating the fish to death,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Frogs can also hug fish to death in the spring .My koi grab frogs and suck there insides out and then i get the fun of scooping out the rest every morning .The plant pot hangers I have on the edge of the pond help the frogs get in and out of the pond

Attachments

• pond july 27 2013 005.JPG
    pond july 27 2013 005.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Frogs can also hug fish to death in the spring .My koi grab frogs and suck there insides out and then i get the fun of scooping out the rest every morning .The plant pot hangers I have on the edge of the pond help the frogs get in and out of the pond
When I asked around about what had happened I was told that because we were having a very mild winter, all the creepy crawlys were absent the koi had slowed down with the colder water temperature but the big old bull frog was still wide awake and starving so it grabbed the first slow moveing thing it could, which was a small 6 inch koi so frog had to go,

Reaction score
Hi I built my pond 3 feet high from ground , level and dug down a further three feet no shallow end and also no shelfs or plants I did this to discourage frogs from entering my pond, because belive it or not (I wouldn't if I hadn't have with my own eyes) the resident bull frog had the head of one of my smaller koi's in its mouth and was suffercating the fish to death,

I wouldn't have believed it if someone on here hadn't posted a picture of it!

I am happy we only have small garden frogs here. No big ones.

Reaction score
Things are looking up! Pond is looking better. I did two big water changes with RO water. There were still a lot of particles floating in the water, I have been washing the filters once to twice a day. I can finally see my fish swimming. Still a ways to go, but its working. I'm about 3/4 way there! Yahhh!

Ask a Question