STILL Green :(

Reaction score
Way to go!

I'm so happy! Love watching the fish swimming around being happy! And the other good news is, I think the 'season' for the green heron is over, he's gone. I haven't seen one in ages. I have seen a cattle egret at the pond, twice. He hasn't been back. So I may get a few weeks enjoyment with the net and 'clearish' water. The other good news is I think most of the fish are big enough that the cattle egret and green heron wouldn't be interested in them. There's three that need a few more months, but after that I think they would be too big for the birds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Colleen, saw one fly over just a few days ago

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very bad time just had ti euthanise my 8inch Asagi-shusui I hate loosing any fish but my beautiful young koi devastating iv bin working up to it all day

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a dandelion .Full bloom .Sorry to hear about you fish slick ,it can be hard to know you lost a battle to save a fish that did not work .Yep when pond gets like yours does Priscilla it takes a long time but your hard work is paying off .(y)(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with a urban heron last year in the old pond but one day it got caught in the pond netting and my bull mastiff scared it half to death never saw it again and no, no harm was done to either the dog or the respected wildlife

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't really know one minute purfect, next day layed on its side and couldn't stay up right, then started to swim vertical, all other fish in the aquarium doing good, tested watef good on all fronts, thought may be swim bladder so held off feeding for a few days fed them on cooked shellled peas but to no avail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't really know one minute purfect, next day layed on its side and couldn't stay up right, then started to swim vertical, all other fish in the aquarium doing good, tested watef good on all fronts, thought may be swim bladder so held off feeding for a few days fed them on cooked shellled peas but to no avail
Slick for future reference any health problems fish get on GPF can be taken care of on its own forum to save confsion

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi dave 54 thanks for the info but I did give the koi about 2 weeks and asked advive from the bks and others club members before I did the dead I used clove oil but no vodka as people think you need to mix the oil totally wrong and very crule, the dead hit me hard I don't take my koi lightly, I invest probably way to much money on them, a new car or a beautiful tancho it's the fish every time, so has anyone out there got any idea what was wrong with the koi and what could have I done , as I have just put to sleep a £80 fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Slick I've put a list of the koi koi health and fish disease books we own in our library as an article only recently it includes the title ISBN numbers of books when they have them and Authors names .
When we first started out ( this is our 28 year now) I adnit I lost fish habd over fist because I didnt really understand the ins and outs of fish keeping , then Val bought me my first book The Salamander Manual of fish health (now interpet) and the rest is history .
Our hobby turned into a sort of self perpetuating one due to sales of koi grown on by us buying equipment food small koi or koi/fish health books we now have a large library we can call on to clarify this point or that t the last count it runs to 95 books/manuals/pamphlets .
In 28 years weve lost only 8 koi our last death being from old age last summer of our second 27 year old koi tiny, I think this may well be the way forwards for you .
When you say BKS I take it you mean the BKKS yes , could you please tell me what section/club are you in please as I may well be able to tell you which HSC official is in your area , our own section the Plymouth one has the former Chair of the HSC as a member who we are friends with.
The remit of these HSC officials "call them health officers" is to visit your pond to give advice on treating your sick koi .
Have you ever thought about buying a Microscope and taking scrapes to look for parasites , when you have read a few books buy one they come in most important , there is a thread about microscopes on this site .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave 54 thanks for the info im not a fully signed up member with the koi club ( south Yorkshire branch) but a few of my friends are the reason I didn't join up last sumer was I was building my first koi pond with bottom drain and vortex, its still all a bit cobbled together working good but still a bit messy, and was a bit intimidated about giong in as through the summer they do pond and garden visits, after the pond build (still very much work in progress due to money) the garden was like a bomb site, the pond wasn't finned and my koi are nice but not top end fish,
I would love some advice on a few things tho I have a showa with koi pox candal wax on its surface any thing I can do I also have a koromo with what look like hard white nodules on its fins and mouth area seams quite happy but a bit unsure ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Slick your best bet would be to jin both the South Yorkshire section as well as the BKKS people dont mind if your pond is a bit of a work in progress , one of our own members had a hole in the ground for 9 years before he had finished , our own has been 6 years in the making since we moved our koi outside after 22 years indoors but its onkly the cosmetic side of the pond we need finishing .
Being a BKKS member gives you direct access to the BKKS health officer who will come out and look at your fish.
I note that the BKKS has another "temporary this time" website but sadly it doesnt list the HSC officers "no worries" I'll ask their former head for you and get back to you on this my friend .
By the way where about's in South Yorkshire do you live as we have relatives there and my Grandad on my Mums side came from Batley .
I originally hail from Oldham Lanc's but stayed in the South West after leaving the Navy .
Both Val and I are considered the founding fathers of the Plymouth section est 1991 and still bucking the trend with new members joining us where other sections have gone to the wall
MS222 is our own anethetic of choice but we have however used Benzocane prior to that perhaps you can try looking into that ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Doncaster I wiill hook up and join up this year again was a bit intidated showwing what I had built and the fish I own to big koi keepers my pond is 10feet long 6feet across and the water level is 5foot 4.5 inch bottom drain pre vortex filter and running a evo 55 uv but thank you at my stage of koi keeping all information is needed

Ask a Question