STILL Green :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ours is 4.5ft deep 7 ft diameter and 21ft circumference , you have rich people with the big ponds others like ourselves with smaller ponds but its the love of koi that bind us all together not the size of a persons pond .
At one stage before one fell ill and the other died we had two millionaires in our section but again it was the love of koi both were hard working folk , one owned a building supply business the other a coach firm but they were friends who we would talk to at meetings and our shows, (we dont do much in the way of pond visits it tires Val out very quickly (she has MD).
Personally i a person has a large pond I think ouch what does that cost to run but then get down to admiring their koi , some folk spend thousands on a single koi but have they brought it on to the size it is or did they buy it as it is at that size ?
Growing koi on is where the enjoyment is slick.
Val and I cant afford the more expensive fish but the club has thought of that and we have a grow and show every year where a bulk buy buys some really nice koi costat a discount ... £45.00 .
First time out we won with a beautiful Ochiba Shiguri , we are the only people to have done all 23 shows in the Plymouth section all be it with alott of help from friends and other members of the section all I do is net the koi at the start and end of the day all the heavy work is done by friends .
I wanted to make last year our last show because of health issues the chairman said hey no way Dave it wouldnt be a show without you guys .
What I'm saying Slick is dont feel folk are better than you because they have huge ponds that way of thinking and you'd not last 5 minutes in the club because of it .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
thank you my friend, will try and remember that iv just posted a few pics of the pond construction under new pond builds i know what your saying about fish tho i have a friend that will turn his nose up just because my fish is only 12inch long and not from japan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thank you my friend, will try and remember that iv just posted a few pics of the pond construction under new pond builds i know what your saying about fish tho i have a friend that will turn his nose up just because my fish is only 12inch long and not from japan.
More fool him for spending loads its about the love of koi that we sould be concentrating on not mine are bigger than yours , I only have one really big koi the rest are all sizes dow to 6", we have Japanese Israeli and British Bred Japanese , I dont discriminate :happy:.
If your ever down this way on holiday your more than welcome to visit our small but humble pond of 1.000 imperial with my problems thats more than enough .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thats very nice of you dave you may regret that, as we may just take you up on the offer,
However the dog I spied in your photos sadly and unfortunately wouldnt be able to come with you , we have a family of cats , wanted a dog ourselves but it would have been cruel as we would have had a hard job walking them .
The cats are bad enough with our neighbours dogs .

Dave

Ask a Question