Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Correct.

Correct.

As far as I am aware, integrated agriculture categorized under the "aqua-ponic" industry label has only been around for about 9 or so years, which I believe started with Dr. McMurtry and then the UVI project by Dr. Rakocy and now Dr. Nick Savidov has been doing quite a bit in the academic arena. Dr. Lennard along with Dr. Rakocy has been quite involved as well in this arena and also have a website, The Aquaponics Doctors. I will need to do some searching in my very unorganized library to find more excellent reference hyperlinks. There have been some small major documents for the recreational arena, such as the FAO of the United Nations - Guide Book - Small-scale aquaponic food production (don't let the front picture fool you since significant mechanical and biological filtration is all talked about).

In the commercial arena of "aqua-ponics", there have been a few major commercial systems that integrate the two systems. However, this integration is mostly one way where very little, if any, of the horticulture system water returns to the aquaculture system. Many of these systems have been constructed and engineer aided with the help of Mr. Van der Werf. Since he has finally finished his huge UAE pilot project, he is gradually bringing back Earthan Group website back online. Blue Smart Farms is another facility where I am told Mr. Van der Werf had a hand in helping, to an extent I am not for sure of. Mr. Van der Werf is truly the major player when it comes to the commercial arena. From what I have come to understand, his systems utilizes a specialized, patented, organic certifiable, "integrated, offline" mineralization system to deal with the fish waste.

In the small business area of "aqua-ponics" catering more to the organic niche market, there have been only a handful of successful operations out there, that have survived for up to around 5 years, and many many more that have gone out of business. These systems utilize more of a system where much more of the water returns to the aquaculture system. Unfortunately, this context is what has defined most of the "aqua-ponics" hobby due to all of the "get rich quick training courses and home aquaponic kit sellers".

Correct.

This has been debatable mostly dependent on crop and whom is managing the system. However, still, there does remain a surplus of nutrients to varying degrees.

Correct.

In my context, I am particularly talking about folk whom are using outdoor ponds to feed the horticulture subset rather than tanks that can easily have a lid or shade cloth placed over them. I do have to battle the occasional string algae outbreak, which I deal with an occasional spray down with a high water pressure sprayer and a low dose hydrogen peroxide (7% conc) schedule until it disappears. Once the string algae is gone, then I usually do not have to deal with it for a few weeks. I have not yet had a "green water" algae outbreak.

Correct.
You may find this an interesting read.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_u...AGBfm0Dw219ZNpDN9AhLiBdl3AgfGX3Tg&oi=scholarr

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Interesting read. Yeah, I think it is the way all of this is going, that is for more efficiencies so to produce more food.

If you mean crsublette corroborating my comments, then I guess he did.
Yep, just adding to the clarification.

Don't let provocateurs like Mario get to you. Many folk like him out there in the forum world. The way I approach those folk is... I've come to realize that some posts simply do not deserve the respect of a response.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've come to realize that some posts simply do not deserve the respect of a response.

And us moderators appreciate the not raising to the bait of the beginnings of a bicker. Not saying this is at that level, just saying every body please think before you hit post reply. The words typed last.

Reaction score
Interesting read. Yeah, I think it is the way all of this is going, that is for more efficiencies so to produce more food.

Don't let provocateurs like Mario get to you. Many folk like him out there in the forum world. The way I approach those folk is... I've come to realize that some posts simply do not deserve the respect of a response.
you always do!(y)

You put me in my place.... again.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

And us moderators appreciate the not raising to the bait of the beginnings of a bicker. Not saying this is at that level, just saying every body please think before you hit post reply. The words typed last.

I own and moderate a large group/forum on LinkedIn for Water Feature industry professionals. I believe that I have seen every form of behavior possible from group members.

Reaction score
I own and moderate a large group/forum on LinkedIn for Water Feature industry professionals. I believe that I have seen every form of behavior possible from group members.
Post some pictures then. Alot of folks here just post on 'how to' with no pictures of their setups.
Why join another fourm if you run one???

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Post some pictures then. Alot of folks here just post on 'how to' with no pictures of their setups.
Why join another fourm if you run one???

Pictures only depict "How" a particular project may be accomplished. They do not explain the 'Why" the project is actually needed and or how it should properly function. Too many "Hows" already out there. Not nearly enough "Whys"

Big difference in a forum for professionals and a forum for hobbyists. Most professionals (sadly, not all) either already possess or know how to access accurate information. Members of a hobbyist forum often do not know what questions to ask, much less how to find accurate information. The reason that I am on hobbyist forums is to help with the "Whys".

Reaction score
Pictures only depict "How" a particular project may be accomplished. They do not explain the 'Why" the project is actually needed and or how it should properly function. Too many "Hows" already out there. Not nearly enough "Whys"

Big difference in a forum for professionals and a forum for hobbyists. Most professionals (sadly, not all) either already possess or know how to access accurate information. Members of a hobbyist forum often do not know what questions to ask, much less how to find accurate information. The reason that I am on hobbyist forums is to help with the "Whys".
I think that is the difference. It is just a hobby for 95% of the folks.
I honestly just like looking at others setups and dream.
Maybe setup up a sticky for different setups and terminology if, you are looking to help. I honestly see the long posts with attachments and loose interest.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think that is the difference. It is just a hobby for 95% of the folks.
I honestly just like looking at others setups and dream.
Maybe setup up a sticky for different setups and terminology if, you are looking to help. I honestly see the long posts with attachments and loose interest.

Sorry that you are not that interested in the inner workings of your hobby for that is truly the exciting and amazing part. I am certain that there are many others that feel differently.

Reaction score
Sorry that you are not that interested in the inner workings of your hobby for that is truly the exciting and amazing part. I am certain that there are many others that feel differently.
I think you took it wrong, no biggy.
is a pretty simple hobby. folks over think everything or over analyze it followed by a dr. qutoe. It is a garden pond fourm, not a professional blog. Like I said, you should make a sticky for terms and different setups, ie aqua....... I'm just a dude with a hole in the ground with some carp and scrappy plants.
There has to be some set ups of yours that you are truly happy with, and yet no posts? I mean you are past hobbyist, past enthusiast, and a 'professional'. It's different levels ponding and everyone I've seen time and time again labels themselves professional have excuse why they don't post pictures of their set ups. Why?
I mean, what pictures do you have for clearing green water? Pretty simple right, nitrogen cycle.. to much going in and not enough coming out?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No pro here never will be and never claim to be .But if you have something that works and you have not lost any fish and they are healthy then what you have must be working .My dad used lava rock in our home made pond growing up so figured it worked back then so why not now .I can't afford fancy stuff for my pond and think most who build there own ponds try to save money and also dwell in the glory of saying i did it myself .i know I do .What works for me may not work for others .My pond is in VA and weather is different and my pond irs only 6 ft from my septic tank .Not by choice but only place I could put it .All my utilities including fiber optic are under ground and i wanted to look down on my pond from my front porch .Coffee a view and my pond .

Attachments

• xmas 2014 at sharons 006.JPG
    xmas 2014 at sharons 006.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 206

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Yep, so true. To be honest, I blame the overused, over simplified acronym KISS and then, when their solution does not work, choose to hide behind "complexities" to avoid explaining them self.

Too many think they have the "how" figured out due to just showing pictures followed by statements of "See!! This shows how well I am doing"... To an extent this is fine, since pictures are fun to look at.

That is until there is an actual problem forcing them to come to these forums to ask "why" things changed and wanting the answer to the "why" by being told the "how".

Or worse, due to KISS, folk just want the "how" to the solution without learning anything to "why" the problem happened...

And then... a few years or so later, the same problem happens again. Hmmm... I wonder "why"... ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well been at this for 10 years and my dad had his pond 30 years ,took my dad and I a month to dig the pond by hand .Only reason I had to rebuild is because something chewed holes in my liner .You can't just say because we don't do it your way we are all wrong .We cannot all be wrong .Yes things may go wrong but we manage with out all the fancy stuff or all the talk over stuff that to me seems crazy .Plus we do not put people down for what they do .You will always have some type of problem with a pond no matter what .

Ask a Question