Still thinking things through, would appreciate advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Welcome :) I don't think your pond plans are deep enough for your winter climate. I know you mentioned town codes, can you look into what would be necessary to go deeper?
My pond is entirely above ground and only 24" deep. I overwinter outside just fine. I use a small floating heater to keep a hole in the ice and air stones for aeration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
WOW, nice bog @Nepen!
Thanks :) that's the old picture with tons of string algae. Now I have no string algae but the plants look about the same. I"m still wondering if it's because it's the first season for the plants, or my water level is too high for them or what, some of the plants are not expanding. just stand there and live.. nothing new since I added them 2-3 months ago. i'm hoping next year will be better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My pond is entirely above ground and only 24" deep. I overwinter outside just fine. I use a small floating heater to keep a hole in the ice and air stones for aeration.
is that marsh marigold in your avatar? mine kept dying... what's the secret?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
is that marsh marigold in your avatar? mine kept dying... what's the secret?
It needs to freeze in winter and it blooms in early spring/starts growing while the ice is still out. I don't do anything special. It is planted in plain pea gravel.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I"m still wondering if it's because it's the first season for the plants, or my water level is too high for them
I think it's a combination of both. Most plants don't do a lot their first season, until they get adjusted. My turtle bog is a little different than most, because I have a "pool" area in the center for the turtles. That's the only place with open water. The rest is piled up pea gravel. I'm still learning, but some plants prefer to be just above the water, while some plants like to be actually in the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Country
United States
A a T.A.R.D.I.S.? I thought that was the name of his ship. I only know that because my daughter is obsessed with it.

Rocks are not so cool. The developers of our housing area sold all the top soil and filled it in with rocks (according to my geologist son, the shapes indicate that they should not be there). These guys were Tetris wizards! No portable machine could get through the rocks and 3" Oak roots. I used a hand pick axe to wedge out the rocks. It took 8 days, 8+ hours a day. On the bright side, I separated the rocks by size and plan to use them for future landscaping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
BTW: All these rocks came out of that one small hole! I can't explain the physics of this, they would not fit back in the hole. It is like Dr. Who's space ship :)
View attachment 85443

We actually have similar problem when I dug. You are so patient with yours. I just filled my hole with water and walked around it, sinking those poking rocks in the mud because if I have to take everyone of it out i'll have a black hole with nothing...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It needs to freeze in winter and it blooms in early spring/starts growing while the ice is still out. I don't do anything special. It is planted in plain pea gravel.
full sun? I'm on my 3rd marsh marigold this season. none survive more than a week in my bog... it looked like it'll survive, sending new leaves, then die...

Ask a Question