store bought or homemade filters

do you use store bought or homemade filtration

• Total voters

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
everyone that has one does...OH!....that includes the "Doc" filters also!! and those who use storebought would too if they had one..
I see theres still only 43 voters on the poll.....2000 members and only 43 have filters i guess...

Maybe you should promote it when discussing filters on other threads. Have the link handy and paste it there. Not everyone knows about it. That might help get the participation up.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
got 4 more voters since yesterday....you know what, i left out pressurized filters. that may have stopped some voters. can we add them to the list?

Reaction score
If I would have to had to go with a store bought, I would never have been able to have a pond. Even with my "kiddie pool" pond, I had made a homemade filter with a black plastic CD case with holes drilled in it, a brass hose barb and scrubbies. It worked perfectly except it needed cleaned a couple times a week.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might have to start a new one. I think I was the first to use the poll and I did not get many results either. We learn from our experiences here. Back then we didn't have that many members and we still had the old Forum format.

Reaction score
I pull water from the bottom of the pond and pump it up to the plumbing manifold at the bottom of the bog pond beside and above it, which is full of pea gravel and plants. Found the info on the web from someone in Texas.
The only thing added is seasonal additions of Microb-lift which i swear by. It's been four years without a cleaning, a water change, or any chemical intervention and the water is beautiful, fish are happy and the toad and dragonfly babies are thick.

HOMEMADE all the way!!

Reaction score
Dragonfly said:
I pull water from the bottom of the pond and pump it up to the plumbing manifold at the bottom of the bog pond beside and above it, which is full of pea gravel and plants. Found the info on the web from someone in Texas.
The only thing added is seasonal additions of Microb-lift which i swear by. It's been four years without a cleaning, a water change, or any chemical intervention and the water is beautiful, fish are happy and the toad and dragonfly babies are thick.

HOMEMADE all the way!!

No water changes?? at all? You mean, you don't change out 20-25% of your existing water and replace it with fresh water every week or two?

Reaction score
No, we have to add water every 2 or 3 weeks in the peak of summer from evaporation, but that's it. I did a lot of research on it as we don't have the greatest well on the planet, and 25% would be a few thousand gallons for our pond. So...the bog garden made sence, and i don't have the energy to do those changes!

Once the pond naturalized completely, it totally looks after its self, it's never even remotely cloudy. My little pond is the same thing, lots of plants and Microb-lift and it's clear.
Though the main pond IS big and quite deep & cool and we have a very big pump circulating it nicely.

Reaction score
What did you do in the aquaculture world, koikeeper? I have a couple of years in the pond plant world at a water nursery in my area selling pumps and plants and goodies and learning a LOT from a master pond-man.

Reaction score
I spent quite a few years helping researchers figure out ways to preserve fresh water fish, plants and other species. Also, I also worked in a fish retail in my much younger days.

I see what you're saying...you essentially have a fully naturalized pond. The pond I have now started out that way as cared for by the previous owner. No filtration, tho, either. I wish I could have said that the water was clear. Unfortunately, it was pea green soup. He never did water changes either and just added water during evaporation as well.

I think the results are better in a huge pond like yours, rather than in small ponds--as water quality is much more stable in larger bodies of water.

Hey, if it works for you and you and your fish are happy, then rock on!

Reaction score
Do you add bacteria to your water at all? This bog pond and bog edge even bog BARREL filtration stuff i came across totally sold me on what nature can do.
It floors me the amount of work you're expected to do with the big fancy systems you can spend a fortune on, I've become a purist!

Pea soup is awful, for sure...I'm used to the fuzzy, natural green on all the surfaces now, if i could do it again I wouldn't waste all those beautiful colored rocks along the edges, mind you! I don't mind any algae as long as the water is crystal clear.

Adopting a pond...tricky. I think you either "get-it" or you don't, There's a lot of buried ponds out there!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
got 4 more voters since yesterday....you know what, i left out pressurized filters. that may have stopped some voters. can we add them to the list?

I know it is kind of late, but I found a way to add pressurized filters to the list.

I can reset the results on everything to zero and I think that will restart the poll for everyone.

Shall we try it?

Reaction score
Dragonfly said:
Do you add bacteria to your water at all? This bog pond and bog edge even bog BARREL filtration stuff i came across totally sold me on what nature can do.
It floors me the amount of work you're expected to do with the big fancy systems you can spend a fortune on, I've become a purist!

Pea soup is awful, for sure...I'm used to the fuzzy, natural green on all the surfaces now, if i could do it again I wouldn't waste all those beautiful colored rocks along the edges, mind you! I don't mind any algae as long as the water is crystal clear.

Adopting a pond...tricky. I think you either "get-it" or you don't, There's a lot of buried ponds out there!

I had to retrofit the whole thing, and added filtration, so it's been perfectly clear since. No, I don't add any bacteria, as I have a DIY barrel filter with it's own natural bacteria colony occupying my filter media. Was cheap to build and requires nothing more than a quick flush every two weeks. I just flush out 20% of the water through the barrel when I'm clearing it, so that I get the benefit of a partial water change at the same time. Throw the hose in with fresh water coming from our well to replenish (which luckily has excellent water parameters so I don't have to add any dechlor).

I agree, keeping it simple is the best way to go.

rdk

Reaction score
Now making a homemade barrel filter. Store bought is very good to get people hooked into this hobby but unless it is a top rated, expensive filter I don't believe they work even one little bit. rdk

Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
Koikeeper

I thought you had a bead filter as well? Do I have you confused with someone else?

I have a pressure filter along with my barrel filter. I had it for years, so decided not to get rid of it after I made my barrel filter. I just use it as a fines filter right before the water enters back into the pond.

What you are remembering is that I am considering a bead filter for my new pond build because of where that pond would be located. But the spot for my filtration will be very small and awkwardly located, so one single, large pressure/bead filter will allow me to put it anywhere. The pond will be around 5,000 gallons, so I will not be able to to have a bunch of barrels lined up as would be needed for this size pond due to lack of space. I will also need to have the filtration close to 20 feet away from the pond, around the side of my house....so, in this situation I feel like a pressure filter will help.

I also plan on a proper bottom drain or two, so I won't have the gravity flow necessary to feed barrels. On my current pond I have a retro bottom drain which works splendidly, and my barrel is in a pit under ground so that the top of it is just above pond water level. With a BD, you need to be able to gravity feed your barrel, so it cannot be sitting on top of the ground. With a pressure filter, it doesn't matter where you place it as it does not require gravity.

Ask a Question