store bought or homemade filters

do you use store bought or homemade filtration

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think bottom drains are a necessity in a koi pond, smart move.
koikeepr said:
I have a pressure filter along with my barrel filter. I had it for years, so decided not to get rid of it after I made my barrel filter. I just use it as a fines filter right before the water enters back into the pond.

What you are remembering is that I am considering a bead filter for my new pond build because of where that pond would be located. But the spot for my filtration will be very small and awkwardly located, so one single, large pressure/bead filter will allow me to put it anywhere. The pond will be around 5,000 gallons, so I will not be able to to have a bunch of barrels lined up as would be needed for this size pond due to lack of space. I will also need to have the filtration close to 20 feet away from the pond, around the side of my house....so, in this situation I feel like a pressure filter will help.

I also plan on a proper bottom drain or two, so I won't have the gravity flow necessary to feed barrels. On my current pond I have a retro bottom drain which works splendidly, and my barrel is in a pit under ground so that the top of it is just above pond water level. With a BD, you need to be able to gravity feed your barrel, so it cannot be sitting on top of the ground. With a pressure filter, it doesn't matter where you place it as it does not require gravity.

Reaction score
I can't disagree with you DoDad, as even the retro drain has made a world of difference on my current pond. The bottom has been perfectly clean since I introduced it into the pond. I will absolutely put a true bottom drain/koi toilet into my next pond build.

You will see plenty of folks here on GPF without one though, and their ponds are equally as clear and clean. They are perfectly happy without BD's. What one ponder swears by another will feel there is no need for.

It's all a matter of preference, and there are many ways to build a pond. That's what makes this hobby so much fun. You can keep things as simple as possible, or you can add gizmos and gadgets if you choose (and have the wallet for).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My small pond is 5' deep and with the oak leafs coming down my pond would be a mess witout bottom drains and a skimmer. I've got to get my cover on!

Ask a Question