Strange stuff covering EVERYTHING

Greg373

At a loss
Reaction score
I'll make this as painless as possible. This pond has been set-up for 1 1/2 months 400 gal. I'm using a Pondmaster 1000 w/ 250gph pump and a Tetra 5w U/V clarifier. Went on vac. for a week left U/V off, came home waters green. Added Tetra algae killer twice it got rid of the green water. Now I've been cleaning out the filter and using a fine mesh net everyday to remove whatever it is I've got. I'm thinking it might be the coagulated dead algae. but it doesn't seem like I'm making any progress:banghead3:. Any ideas? What am I missing? It is "sticking" to the sides the bottom everything. But when I make any water movement it just floats in the wate then I scoop it out. Should I continue this regiment?

Reaction score
I would think that you have to play catch up. Is the water clear now?

I get algae on my liner, that is very difficult to keep away. I just live with it, as the fish love to eat it, and have to keep the snails fed.

Frog.jpg

Reaction score
Here is a better picture of the algae. As you can see, the koi love it. One even jumps out of the water to get at it.

FishAtWaterfall063008.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
First of all let me say there is nothing wrong with algae. Show me a natural waterway or pond without it and I'll show you a lifeless condition.

What we want to do is control it. There are many methods, including removing it by hand in the case of string algae. My koi love it, eat it and even laid eggs in it. I, as part of a daily routine in the spring, I reach in and remove it from the edges. The rest, if bad enough, I will put on waders and remove it from the middle, especially where my pumps are.

I do not obsess with removing all of it. As summer moves in the string algae bloom dissipates. As for the algae that is suspended, a good bio filter that has a settling chamber in the bottom will remove it. Some people use UV to do this, I personally don't use one.

A nice coat of algae over the liner or cement hides the artificial structure and helps make your pond look more natural.

Greg373

At a loss
Reaction score
Unfortunetly it's not the algae that grows on the sides. I think it is the floating algae that is dead that is left over. I can scoop it out with a fine net but it settles really quick so it doesn't get sucked into the filter box.

Reaction score
it might help to have some circulation, water flowing into the bottom of your pond to keep the dead algae stirred up, so your filter can get it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Kirscp beat me to it. I added a 3200 GPH pump that just sits in a corner and causes a circular flow to keep the bottom free and everything in solution. Harbor Freight #95965.

Reaction score
I added a 3200 GPH pump that just sits in a corner and causes a circular flow to keep the bottom free and everything in solution.

One of my pumps goes to waterfalls, the other back into the pond for circulation. I can also use the hose to push any heavy crud towards my bottom drain.

I use a differnet pumps though, ones that use less electricity.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5164+12824&pcatid=12824

I have the 2900 and the 2400. I purchased them on sale last fall, $180 and $150.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The Harbor Freight pump was on sale for $79 and for $20 more I got a 2 year unconditional replacement warrantee. It draws 270 watts.

Ask a Question