sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made the mistake of putting a small banana plant in my filter and the roots got over 6 feet long and when I pulled it the water quality went down for awhile .I put ribbon grass in it and I have to trim the roots on them once a month .But they really filter the water .gotta love roots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
We plant watercress in our stream and waterfall every year. The mats of roots they produce are spectacular! And when I pull it out the amount of silt and dirt that I pull up with it is quite amazing.
It's amazing how quickly the watercress roots grow and how well they trap silt and dirt. I started with a handful a few years ago and I am constantly pulling the watercress to keep it from taking over the stream. Surprisingly it survives the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
love it!
Be aware of water crest though. They took over my bog (and had leaves as big as my palm) and they can be as tall as they need to get the sun so they can kill off your smaller plants. I yanked mine all out and just float them for the fish to snack.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good advice for anything you plant @Nepen - keep an eye on things to make sure no one bullies anyone else right out of your garden!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I didn't know that it could. Interesting.

Mine survives... sometimes. I have no idea why it comes back some years and other years it doesn't. I do the same thing each fall - pull out most of it and leave a few pieces in the waterfall and bog. But I don't mind buying new either - it's like a buck a bundle in the produce section. Very cheap addition to my pond every spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I made the mistake of putting a small banana plant in my filter and the roots got over 6 feet long and when I pulled it the water quality went down for awhile .I put ribbon grass in it and I have to trim the roots on them once a month .But they really filter the water .gotta love roots

Hardy banana? I am looking for serious power houses that suck nutrients like crazy in my zone 6.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Hardy banana? I am looking for serious power houses that suck nutrients like crazy in my zone 6.
We are in the same zone .

The plants with the biggest root development in my set up is yellow flag iris. It's known to be invasive. I started with 10 4 years ago housed in a 100 gal stock tank. They are attached to a grid with a pvc base. The first two years I was able to lift the grid out and put them in the deep end of the pond for the winter. Now the root mass is so thick and heavy I can't budge it so it stays in the stock tank year round. Now there are at least 4-5 times the amount of plants . I've not yet thinned them but they are contained in the stock tank.
I did add a few in the stream on each side of the waterfall. I do thin them at the start of each season.
If your interested I can send you a few to try.

Other plants that appear to have a good root system that I have used are strawberry and cream, watercress and forget me not.
These are all hardy for our zone.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you know watercress is very helpful in your diet .It is also said to help fight off certain cancers .I love it in my salads

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took out 50+ hardy banana roots to cut back on the growth of them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
banana plant roots and lily bud in lily pond
101_0153.JPG
101_0159.JPG
101_0162.JPG

Attachments

• 101_0164.JPG
    101_0164.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 151
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I got yellow irises they are my strongest growers. They haven't expanded much.

Do the hardy bananas actually make bananas? Are they sweet?

Ask a Question