Stream design - controlling waterfalls and plumbing placement

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you had 6 inches of rain and it drained out in a day or even two then my opinion is little to worry about but if you had water problems before then when the right conditions come reacure then I would rather have the underliner drain already installed rather than need to install one when I was done.

The solution is actually quite simple . They have like four pipe put to gether making more of a mat that you place before you place fabric or liner if you are worried about it id make a bed of gravel so the water can travel.

Water will always take the path of least resistance so it will rise up the empty pipe before it tries to lift the rubber. We call that the hippo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@combatwombat your plan is to use black roofing caulk to secure the stones and then the foam to fill in the big gaps? Sounds like a good idea.

Not to secure the stones. I would use landscape adhesive wherever that is necessary. The goal is just to use caulk wherever possible as it’s a much better product. But it can’t do large gaps, so maybe foam there and “paint” some caulk over it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not sure construction adhesive is fish friendly have you found some that is ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In water fall building one you place your rock or rocks bring the liner forward an backfill comely closing up the bigger gaps once that's closed up a bit then you can foam the space and what I have done is paint/ parge over the foam with a coat of caulking it doesnt need to be thick its just filling in the bubbles in the foiam so its closer to water proof and it will give another bond to the rocks. If you have some big spaces thats where the bib liner or adding more rocks comes into play..
I should also mention concrete or mortar work as well expecialy if your on well water and ph is high

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not sure construction adhesive is fish friendly have you found some that is ?

No. Doubt anyone would ever test for it. But I don’t really worry about that. If I see team aquascape doing it, I don’t think much beyond that.

That’s a good idea, though. I could relabel some construction adhesive as fish safe and sell it for $25/tube. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can find foam for half that price. I've seen the 24 oz cans on Amazon for $17.
Thanks for letting me know friend DAMN

I bought it. Patriot Foam from half off ponds. About that cost per can in a 3-pack.

I haven’t used another brand, but I’m not impressed. Doesn’t adhere to my rocks well, even when I wet them. And crumbles quickly in the sun. A lot faster than the normal Great Stuff even though it’s black. Can specifies that exposed foam should be painted. Who’s going to do that?

I’ll use roofing caulk wherever possible from here on out.

Ask a Question