Moving Pond Plants to Stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbor wants to put some plants in and around a stream that runs through her property. I am providing the plants.

My pond is in a greenhouse for winter and the water is much warmer than the stream's water. We may take the pond cover off this coming week if weather permits.

Should we wait to move any plants until the water temperatures get closer to the same? Or can we put the plants in buckets and slowly add the colder water to help acclimate them? My plants are pretty tough so I don't know if it would be a problem.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, as usual, wanting to get going on this project. If I just need to wait, I will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm going to guess that the stream water is always going to be on the colder side. If the plants are still dormant, I'd go ahead & move them now. If they're actively growing they might get a bit shocked, but as long as they are hardy perennials they should be fine.

Obviously make certain that they're nothing invasive (or potentially invasive) that could 'escape' after being planted in a natural waterway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your talking 20 degrees a say no biggie more than that and id place them in a bucket and let the water chill a bit slowly

Ask a Question