HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
dieselplower said:
. I. Keep in mind there will have to be some vertical drop from the beginning of the stream to the pond, to be sure the water flows the proper direction.
Contrary to common belief, the stream does NOT need a vertical drop, it can be perfectly flat. Any water pumped to the end of the stream will flow back to the other end. Where else could it go? For what it's worth, the water at the far end of the stream WILL be deeper as long as the pump is running, but only by a few atoms!
John

Reaction score
Actually, that's what I have in mind. A combination of flat and slope stream, with 2 inches deep of slowing moving water, it would look good as long the flat stream is not longer than the slope one because it would look akward.

Reaction score
Usually, a waterfall is used to return water to the pond from the filter. If your stream is fed by your filter perhaps you should rename it. For example, "In place of a waterfall from the filter to the pond, I will have a 15' noiseless water return." :)

To paraphrase what Deisel said, a stream is just an oddly shaped part of the pond. When dealing with bureaucrats, wording is everything. The city code official told us putting a grape arbor over the gate in our fence required us to get a plan from an architect (initial meeting $3000, plan extra). However, I needed no special permission to have a "fence" that just happened to be the same shape as the arbor.

Reaction score
shakaho said:
Usually, a waterfall is used to return water :eek: the pond from the filter. If your stream is fed by your filter perhaps you should rename it. For example, "In place of a waterfall from the filter to the pond, I will have a 15' noiseless water return." :)

To paraphrase what Deisel said, a stream is just an oddly shaped part of the pond. When dealing with bureaucrats, wording is everything. The city code official told us putting a grape arbor over the gate in our fence required us to get a plan from an architect (initial meeting $3000, plan extra). However, I needed no special permission to have a "fence" that just happened to be the same shape as the arbor.
I like the way you think. Its not even a stream, its a pond shaped like a turkey leg hahaha

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We call them babbling brooks here just water flowing and no noise to bother your neighbors .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
shakaho said:
Usually, a waterfall is used to return water to the pond from the filter. If your stream is fed by your filter perhaps you should rename it. For example, "In place of a waterfall from the filter to the pond, I will have a 15' noiseless water return." :)

Permit for a grape arbor? Wow!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never understood HOA's you pay the bills and they get to tell you what you can and can't do .I think most turn you down because they are jealous you can afford to do something they can't afford to do .Sounds like a Hitler society to me .

Reaction score
On mine I had to add an 2500 gph pump just to get the flow that I was looking for on top of the bio filter emptying out into it. I have no white water just babling over and around rocks prob 2 inches deep. I did set up a small water fall 3-4 layers of thin slate, so you may need a bigger pump than you think. You can alwyse split a bigger pumps flow or dial it down but you cant make too small of a pump, pump more water. Also just thinking and if you wanted to quite a higher flow rate pump and are not able to have a waterfall you can make a muffler for it. get one of those shower toat's the kind that jsut a rectangle box with a bunch of holes in itadd a hole big enough for your hose, put the hose in about half way and fill it with the same gravel that you are using in the stream. you can add more of the gravel to the outside to hide it and now you have water raising out of the gravel rather than crashing down onto it. you have to use the basked because if you just bury the hose in gravel it will eventually erode the small pebbels and un bury itself.

Good luck

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    107 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
better shot and the white you see at the mouth of the stream is fresh quilt batting it works great as an additional filter and turns the same color as the rock in about a week so you wont notice it

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
I just re-read your question in the POND I have a total of 9100 gph if you add the 4 pumps one 3500 gph two 2500gph and one 600 two in the stream two in the water fall. But the one 2500 that is leading to the bio filter is restricted to pravent over flow of the filter. so between that and the direct line for the other 2500 I would say is about 3500ish in the stream alone

Ask a Question