String algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond exploded with string algae on walls and boulders on shelves. Any help with this? Is it dangerous for my koi? Looks like they eat it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not at all dangerous for fish. It's a sign that you have excess nutrients in your pond. How old is your pond? How big? How many fish? What kind of filtration are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond was installed in April. Approx 12 ft x 9 ft x 2-2.5 ft. 7 koi about 6-7” and 3 goldfish 4”. Use a bio canister filter. Used microbe lift to jump start filtration and maintain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds like a new pond trying to find balance. Not at all unusual. Do you have plants in the pond? And be aware that 7 koi in 1500 gallon pond is about maxed out, especially as they continue to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a new pond trying to find balance. Not at all unusual. Do you have plants in the pond? And be aware that 7 koi in 1500 gallon pond is about maxed out, especially as they continue to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as plants I have water hyacinths and cattails in pots

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have the same problem this year, my algae bloom is due to cinder block dust (we're under constructions) getting in the water. I have a lot of plants, but obviously they're not doing well with the higher ph caused by the dust, (that's why the excess organic matter in the water) and I'm not about to start messing with altering ph chemically, so for now I just scoop up all the algae I can, keep the mechanical filter clean and feed the fish less.
I did a 20% water change when I realized what was causing the algae bloom and since then we've changed the location where we cut the blocks and the ponds are starting to recover.

I hear many people complaining of string algae this year, people who never really had this problem before and cannot figure out the reason why

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hear many people complaining of string algae this year, people who never really had this problem before and cannot figure out the reason why
I have had almost zero this year. Usually my small ponds get some, but none this year, or if any minimal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I usually get very little and only in the plant pool, in mid season when the plants begin to fill and slow down the water flow, like last year I realized my water Hyacinth were taking over and as soon as I thinned them out the water started flowing freely and the algae were gone

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sometimes 100% clay kitty litter hung in a fine net bag can help clear some types of algae. I need to do that again as I have it in my plant pots but it's kinda old now and does not really circulate well in a pot. The litter can cloud the water at first but it will go away after a bit.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like it in the small slow flow ponds, landing areas for the bees to drink from. They are lousy around water, drown a lot
This year the one pond is full of parrots feather.

Ask a Question