Suggestions for container upflow bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've started my digging for a small 6x4x2.5 or so pond and I found a man on youtube that has turned me on to bog filters (ozponds). Easy to understand, he's clearly into the ponds -- but he's in Australia and I imagine doesn't have a raccoon issue. :)

In any case, he shows how to build the container bogs which was a boon for me since I had a 55 gal plastic drum handy. I've cut it down to 45 gal but am running into a few issues with an flushout pipe at the bottom. Uniseal works fine, but any PVC valve I buy is so tough to turn that it always causes a leak in the seal when i do a test run. My next attempt will just feature a lot more plumbers tape.
So any suggestions around that problem would be helpful.

Otherwise, my wife isn't keen on a blue container in the yard so I am thinking of alternatives. It's not a large pond, so building a bog outside of a container isn't something I've really considered -- and I've already ordered a liner that would be too small to include a bog into.

So..questions. If you have uniseal tips, please share!
If you have other suggestions for a container bog, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Or is an in-ground bog a better option? won't be a lot of sun hitting it and it'd be next to the house.

And, lastly, is a flushout pipe at the bottom necessary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Try a knife valve. Turn it sideways to keep debris from settling in the seal area.

True Union ball valves are also much better quality than your standard PVC valves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Myself if I had decided on keeping it small I'd make a cedar box 2x tounge and Grove glued and screwed. This will become water proof and looks fantastic .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I really enjoy Ozponds! I like GBBUDD's idea of a cedar box. It would look so pretty, it wouldn't detract from the beauty of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Try a knife valve. Turn it sideways to keep debris from settling in the seal area.

True Union ball valves are also much better quality than your standard PVC valves.
I'll take a look at a knife valve. I can see that a union ball valve would be better, but the outflow would ultimately only be opened once or twice ayear max. I figure even a union ball valve will stick. Maybe I'll just do a threaded cap that I can unscrew when needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you still want to use your plastic drum you could first paint to a color you like better, and then further disguise it with an outer shell of wood, rock-n-roll, rustic metal, or even a vine and trellis...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
what about a rainwater bulkhead and hose bibb? If 3/4” enough for small bog cleanout. I have been wondering that myself

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
what about a rainwater bulkhead and hose bibb? If 3/4” enough for small bog cleanout. I have been wondering that myself
I'm going by the advice that a bulkhead isn't good on a rounded surface -- and it's interesting, because I've looked for rainwater barrel bulkheads and all of the pictures on the various websites tend to be photoshopped. So if the company selling them doesn't have the confidence to do an actual picture, I'm not buying. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going by the advice that a bulkhead isn't good on a rounded surface -- and it's interesting, because I've looked for rainwater barrel bulkheads and all of the pictures on the various websites tend to be photoshopped. So if the company selling them doesn't have the confidence to do an actual picture, I'm not buying. lol

Uniseals are more popular on barrels, I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yeah, I have the uniseals -- but I'm trying to figure out a way to get a valve on there that doesn't wiggle it too loose. Just piling on teflon tape for this next go round. I put the filter aside while I dug the pond, which is now done. My stones for the edges don't get here for another week though, so I can focus on the bog filter in the evenings. PXL_20220405_030849662.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, pond build is going nicely - bog build, not so much. Giving up on the barrel and uniseals -- dont know if it was being out with the changing temperatures lately, but the barrel warped and the uniseal didn't seal so much.
Going to get a rectangular plastic container, probably a laguna one. I think I'll skip the flushout valve and just focus on putting one hole in the thing for the waterfall/stream flow.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah, I have the uniseals -- but I'm trying to figure out a way to get a valve on there that doesn't wiggle it too loose. Just piling on teflon tape for this next go round. I put the filter aside while I dug the pond, which is now done. My stones for the edges don't get here for another week though, so I can focus on the bog filter in the evenings. View attachment 149314
While waiting for the stones why not dig a shallow shelf around the pond. You can hide the liner laying stones on the shallow shelf coming up and put of the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe you're overemphasizing your need for a clean out on your container bog... at least at the bottom. I'm wondering if you could build a clean out stack into the design where you could drop a small pump down to the bottom and pull water from underneath.

Not a whole thought there... just an idea. We have a clean out stack in our big bog that would take a full sized pump. We've just never needed it because the bog stays clean. And if you're pumping clean water to your container bog, you may find the same thing - no debris into the bog means nothing to clean out.

Ask a Question