Suitable pump and filter for Malaysia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi forum, I am new to this and wanted to put forward to you'll some questions. I am from Malaysia, and I am building my very own pond is about 1800 gallons together with a water corse. I have done all the major things and I am going to put in a pond liner. Now I am in search of a good pump and filter. I have looked into OASE but it is a bit costly for a DIY pond. Could you'll suggest me any pump and filter that would give the same water quality and clarity as OASE. Currently here in Malaysia were are experiencing lots of rain and blasting sun so the algae is really growing fast. I know if use OASE the algae growth will be stopped at a dramatic rate due to its UVC and aerators. So having all this in mind is there any other pump and filter that can provide the same effect. Thank you.
Alpravinosh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and Welcome from Plymouth in the UK , I'm affraid its not as simple as just suggesting a pump for your pond quite simply because you must have a more local make of pump that is probably cheaper after all ,, what your buying is a named pump that is going to cost quite a bit more.
There are some very good products coming out of china nowadays at half the cost of named products , I bought an andrid phone just the other month for only part of the cost of a named one .
Personally I'd be looking in that direction if I needed to replace my OASE 3500 should it ever quit .
I hope this helps you my friend

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Look at the length of the manufacturer's warranty. This is usually an indicator of the quality of the pump. If you decide to go with a 1 year warranty pump then I would suggest that you purchase 2 of them. You will need to have one on hand when the first one fails. OASE is a reputable brand and well worth the cost. Remember, DIY or professionally installed, a pond needs the proper equipment to function properly and maintain proper water quality. Quite often cutting the initial costs results in higher future costs in maintenance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Alpravinosh
I just got a Laguna pump but haven't hooked it up yet. Too cold for me yet. Only filter I have is a pre-filter dealy bob hooked to my pondmaster pump right now. My pond is 2400gals give or take.

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

Set up something like the diagram below only I don't have the box filter. Mine just goes to my water fall. I clean the pre-filter about once per month during the Summer. In winter I take the middle core out of the prefilter so water can flow through easier so I don't have to clean it in winter. Nothing much to collect on it in winter.

Inner core
IMG_6267.JPG

Prefilter diagram.jpg

IMG_6186.JPG

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Alpravinosh, please accept my apology for incorrectly abbreviating your name. I invite you to view my pond showcase and consider the suitability of the Tetrapond debris handling pump and external bio-active filter. A good pond supply site is Drs. Fosters and Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/?t=1&ref=4397&subref=AA&cmpid=PPC-G-4397

Happy Ponding Alpravinosh!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you everyone for your views and opinions I will take it to heart and identify what is best for me thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the length of the manufacturer's warranty. This is usually an indicator of the quality of the pump. If you decide to go with a 1 year warranty pump then I would suggest that you purchase 2 of them. You will need to have one on hand when the first one fails. OASE is a reputable brand and well worth the cost. Remember, DIY or professionally installed, a pond needs the proper equipment to function properly and maintain proper water quality. Quite often cutting the initial costs results in higher future costs in maintenance.
Thank you everyone for your views and opinions I will take it to heart and identify what is best for me thank you.
Alp not a problem please let us know how you get on with your search and which pump you in the end settle on , Meyer it has been proven that many of the newer non named bits of euipment fare in some cases better than named ones otherwise I would not have suggested shopping around , I recall an article from one of the mags I used to get covering the survey for koi keepers and remember being suprised by the results

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What do you aim to keep in your pond at 1800 gallons one could keep koi (mind I'm biased that way approaching our 28 year of keeping them , but what you put in your pond is down to you .
However may I suggest you take in a little knowledge of what you will be keeping and be prepared for any problems you might get .
Val and I have a large Library part of which has been threaded on the forum please feel free to copy it and buy whatever book that will help you be a successful fish keeper :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/our-fish-koi-health-library-with-reviews-of-each-book.10498/

hope this all helps

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Once again can't thank you enough. I am aiming on keeping koi 9-7 of them (small once and probably 2 goldfish (Lionhead) just for the fun of it :). Thank you once again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi forum it has been awhile. So I have been shopping around and I have purchased for Oase biotech 5.1, Oase aquamax 6000, Oase Bitron 36c and Aquaoxy 2000. Will post phots when I am done. Thank you.

Ask a Question