Support structure needed for waterfall?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by bagsmom, Jul 19, 2016.

1. bagsmom

bagsmom

Hey guys! Still dreaming, researching and planning my smallish pond. I plan to have something like a 9 x 12 pond with a waterfall wier at the head. Probably 31/2 feet off the ground. It will be backed up to a rock wall and I'll attempt a "natural-esque" look. Very informal.

I'll build up a little hill to the top and will use a lot of rocks. But I'm thinking a dirt hill and rocks won't be enough if I want the structure to stay stable over time. It seems like I might need to dig and pour a couple of little footings and maybe stack just a few concrete blocks to form an inner structure -- which I could then cover with dirt and other rocks.

Does this seem sensible? Does it seem like overkill? I'm just imagining lots of rain beating down on a hill made only of dirt. Seems like it would erode and settle.

Thoughts from those of you who have done this? THANKS! :)

bagsmom, Jul 19, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. bagsmom

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@bagsmom I never liked the idea of just piling dirt up, either, and for the same reason. It might work for some, but I had visions of major soil erosion. A little retaining wall-type structure with footings sounds like a wise move. I'm not as creative as some people who have created masterpieces with their falls -- mine would look like, well, a few concrete blocks stacked up. My only advice would be too keep things in scale.

Mmathis, Jul 19, 2016
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bagsmom

bagsmom

I thought what I could do is make the block structure sort of like a "skeleton" -- internal support that I could hide with dirt and rocks and plants.
    LOL -- I'm looking down at "similar threads" and I see I already asked this question in 2014. Duh.... The brain is just old, what can I say? :)
    I'm going to see what everyone said in 2014!

bagsmom, Jul 19, 2016
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. bagsmom

Lisak1

There are some great YouTube videos on pond building from professionals. The ponddigger is a great source of information. Watch those and see how they handle the waterfall construction. There are also examples of horrible DIY pond builds on YouTube. There's nothing worse than a hill standing in the middle of a flat yard pretending to be a waterfall. You don't need a lot of height to create water flow. Work with your space to create a natural appearance and you will be pleased with the outcome!

Lisak1, Jul 20, 2016
    Jeremy710, Mmathis and bagsmom like this.
  5. bagsmom

Jeremy710 turtles are my favorite

I modeled my waterfall off what the ponddigger says in waterfall construction very good information.

Jeremy710, Jul 21, 2016
    bagsmom likes this.
  6. bagsmom

bagsmom

Thanks everyone! I will check out the Pond Digger videos.

bagsmom, Jul 21, 2016
  7. bagsmom

Jeremy710 turtles are my favorite

Still under construction at the moment as you can see.

Attached Files:

Jeremy710, Jul 21, 2016
    bagsmom likes this.
  8. bagsmom

bagsmom

Thanks for the Pond Digger recommendation! I am addicted to the videos!

bagsmom, Jul 21, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question