Taking advantage of a bad situation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I guess it was about this time last year I was dealing with lots of water oozing up through the ground all around my pond build site.

Well it happened again. We had 4" of rain in 3 days. Thankfully it did not balloon the lining but it did and still is seeping into the pump pit about 2' deep. The pump is 3"up and mounted to the wall. A little too close for my comfort. I have been running a automatic sump pump that cycles every 5 min. The last I checked I was pumping about 300gal a day.

I have little to no pitch to my yard, last time I did a basic pitch measurement on the yard I found in 26' I have maybe 4-5" of drop. Not a lot to play with when planning drainage. Problem is my pump pit is 1' 7" lower than the lowest point in my yard. I don't like the idea of relying on a sump pump to protect the pump pit.

I guess my only solution is to put a sump pit of couragated plastic pipe next to the pump pit to relieve the water pressure and lift it 1" 10" and connect it into the drainage pipe and get it out of the yard.

Not complaining.
Just venting.
Just another hurdle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Is your pump an external pump?
Yes Sir. horizontally mounted on the wall.
this photo is actually in the build process. it has been upgraded once again.
20220711_165207(1).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just wondering why you were worried about water getting to the pump - I get it now!

Oh and I'm more "ma'am" than "sir", but maybe that's why I needed the explanation! :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond with the perculating water is looking for the easiest route out from under your liner. A couple pipes dug along side probably best put where you can see the water already uzzing out from below if you place some gravel at the bottom the water will find the pipe and will lift up the pipe depending on how much water and pressure you have from the rains.
With the limited pitch I would have that pipe connect to a horizontal pipe that leads the water out to the direction you want it to go. What size pipe depends how much water your fighting but remember this pipe sizes don't just double from say a 2 inch To a 4 inch a 2 inch can flow in the neighborhood of 4500 gallons. A 4 inch does 18000.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond with the perculating water is looking for the easiest route out from under your liner. A couple pipes dug along side probably best put where you can see the water already uzzing out from below if you place some gravel at the bottom the water will find the pipe and will lift up the pipe depending on how much water and pressure you have from the rains.
lol
With the limited pitch I would have that pipe connect to a horizontal pipe that leads the water out to the direction you want it to go.
I went back and re-read my post and noticed a type-UT-OOh. .on my part. and to try harder to choosing the right words to draw a better picture.
The deepest amount of water noticed in the pump pit was 2+ feet. the pump is mounted 3 feet up on the wall.

The deepest point of the pump pit is 17 inches lower than the lowest point of my property , so I have no choice but to use a sub pump to lift the ground water to a point it can flow out the drain pipe.

Not sure when I will start the Bio filter rebuild but at that point I will have to expose 2 walls on the pimp pit, at that point I will build a blind ditch and direct the ground water to a seepage pit where I will have to have a submersible sub pump waiting. also reseal the outer wall of the pump.
What size pipe depends how much water your fighting but remember this pipe sizes don't just double from say a 2 inch To a 4 inch a 2 inch can flow in the neighborhood of 4500 gallons. A 4 inch does 18000.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought the woke bs got you to cave and change your pronouns. They got me ......... She/ It ..... Add them together...
My friend... you know me better than that. My pronouns are dictated by the English language that I've been loving a long time. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My friend... you know me better than that. My pronouns are dictated by the English language that I've been loving a long time. ;)
i had no doubt i just needed an excuse to post my feeling toward the whole movement. if that's what you'd call it.

Ask a Question