Taking the leap! Or being pushed off the cliff?

Reaction score
Hi, all! My name is Taylor. I am a complete newbie when it comes to pond keeping... Heck, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to any aquatics, really!

I just "inherited," so to speak, a pond... Moved into a lovely new rental just to find out, on moving day, that there's a pond in the back yard. The company we're renting from never mentioned this, and the yard had been covered with a foot of snow until a week or so before moving day, so I'd had no clue!

By my very nature, I'm a total animal lover, especially when it comes to scaly, land-dwelling critters (reptiles, that is!). As of now, the menagerie consists of three Bearded dragons, a Corn snake, a Gopher snake, and, of course, the two family dogs. So, naturally, I have to take this opportunity and give this whole pond keeping deal a try, right? :) Besides, ponds are something that have always interested me... I've just never had the guts to give it a try, since I've always failed pretty miserably at keeping fish alive in the past.

I'm still debating whether to focus on fish, or to go for a couple turtles, of course leaning toward the latter! But that issue pales in comparison to the rest of this project... Learning how to maintain a pond in the first place, and figuring out what all will have to be done with this one come (or before?) spring!

One question for you all while I'm here: Is there any way to tell, with the pond frozen over, whether there is any filtration or pump systems present? The previous renters (or owners, whichever the case may be) didn't leave any instructions, information, or supplies that I can find, and I'm concerned that they may have pulled any filters/pumps out of the pond itself while they were at it! And, after a few years keeping reptiles, I know full well the necessities don't always come cheap! On which note, references for good DIY and otherwise inexpensive equipment would be highly appreciated!

Okay, I'll stop there, and save the rest for a post on a more appropriate forum than Intros. :p Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Oh! And a picture of the pond itself... There's a waterfall to the right, and the pond itself is probably 7 ft or so long, and 3 ft or so wide. I don't have a clue how deep it is yet.
PondHouse001.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Read the diy sections, there is a lot of information on how to make inexpensive filters etc.

Welcome to our group!

Look around when you can, see if there is any piping leaving the pond, that would lead you to filters and possibly pumps.

Reaction score
well did u see any fish to start off? cause they can live without anybody just off algae growth lol... but before you focus on fish you should just learn about ponds and how to do the up-keep. Now you mentioned turtles, they are known not to stick around they will wander off for some reason but anyway good luck and welcome to the site

~Marino~

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
Look around for any pipes and follow them

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Addy & DrCase: I did just that today, and found a sump pump sitting behind the pond! As well as tubing and what looks like a fountain head in the pond that I hadn't been able to see before... Definitely glad I went back to look!

Marino: There was one deceased fish, appeared to be a goldfish, floating on the surface when we came (since removed it), but there's a thick layer of dead (dormant?) Lilypads (I think) below the water surface, so I can't see if there's more.
The thing about turtles is, though they'll wander off for whatever reason (I.e. to lay eggs, find a new pond/territory), they can't climb a tall enough wall with capped corners, and I would for sure put up a barrier if I did get one or two... It's easy enough to do-- certainly easier than my outdoor beardie enclosure project for this summer!

DrDave: So simple and to the point, lol! Any special reason, or is it just your natural inclination, like turtles are mine?

I'm still weighing the fish vs turtle decision, but for now I'm focusing on learning general pond maintenance... I would guess there isn't a great deal of difference between fish pond and turtle pond maintenance, anyway. (Or is there?) :)

Reaction score
well now you can have them both too however the turtles have to be smaller than the fish so just buy some bigger fish lol and small turtles!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Floof, I think that's amazing that this pond came with your rental. It looks to me that someone spent a lot of time and care into building it. Also it looks like you will have some great vegetation in the summer. Personally I would try my hand at fish. If you haven't had a pond before than you have no idea of the full range of fish behavior. I can go out at 12:00 at night in the spring and my male goldfish are chasing the females with no end in sight and they are back at it again in the morning!

Reaction score
Keith, that's so interesting. I've had fish before, inside, but they were never nearly as active or interesting as you're suggesting. I guess it's like some of my reptiles: the more spacious and "natural" the habitat, the more active they tend to be. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am keeping my pond on the natural side, whatever wants to live in it is welcome. Will put some goldies in it, well once it melts and warms up. Frogs have already moved in. Water bugs etc.

It is fun to watch.

The sump pump running full time might be a power hog. see if you can see how much power it uses from a label.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Addy! I had forgotten that I took a pic of the label the other day, so I don't even have to go stand in the cold and snow trying to read it. Lol!

The label says it's 115V, 60Hz, 5.0 Amps, and 1/6 HP... I'm pretty sure most of that has something to do with power consumption, but I have no idea what it all means. :p

It's a Flotec Submersible Sump/Utility Pump, Model FP0S1250X - 08. I don't suppose anyone here has heard of it, and knows whether it's a good pump? I'm going to google it here in a second, but it'd be nice to hear input from experienced pond keepers. :)

Attached is the picture of the label.

Attachments

• Pond2 007-1.JPG
    Pond2 007-1.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Thanks, Pondbuilder!

1/6 horsepower isn't much, then? That brings up another question:

An online description of this model pump says it can pump 1140 gallons per hour from 0-3 feet deep. I don't know how many gallons my pond is, but it's 12x5.5 ft avg lengthxwidth, and Pondcare.com's calculator is saying it could be as little as 500 gallons @ 1 ft depth to 1500 gallons @ 3 ft depth: assuming it's neither less than 1 ft, nor deeper than 3 ft.

Theoretically, is 1/6 HP/1140 GPH enough flow to effectively filter (or, supply a filter, anyway) this size of a pond, if it's not overstocked? Or should I look into getting a stronger pump for this purpose, and just use this pump for an alternate water feature? I'm probably going to do a bio filter, in the fashion of the Doc bio filter, if that makes a difference.

Ask a Question