sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking of getting snails but heard the koi may eat all the small ones they sell .Those snails are not cheap so have been wondering about them .Aggie is such a pig should have named her miss piggy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The nice thing about trap doors is they have about two live offspring per season and won't overpopulate your pond. Also they do well over the winter. Or at least so I have heard. Our raccoons love them too so I always have to buy new ones every year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CometKeith said:
The nice thing about trap doors is they have about two live offspring per season and won't overpopulate your pond. Also they do well over the winter. Or at least so I have heard. Our raccoons love them too so I always have to buy new ones every year.

I have ones that I put in the pond last year, large and small ponds, they survived in both. The small ponds either froze solid or almost solid. 8 inches of ice on the large pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm still not sure my koi would not eat them and not sure I want to spend that much for them to be eaten

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sissy said:
I'm still not sure my koi would not eat them and not sure I want to spend that much for them to be eaten

I have heard that koi will eat them sissy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard that also but also heard people who have koi have them with no problems but then again they can have plants without there koi destroying them .I hate to buy them and hamy fish eat the poor little things .not right .I think the only way those poor things would have a chance if they were at least 6 inches big or more LOL monster snails

Reaction score
I have had the in my pond since the first monthit was built. Iam suresomhave been eaten by the Koi. Now and then a ump will get one. I do not know if they have helped any. But some of them are very big andI recently saw a cluster of 10 of very small ones eating algae on the side of pot. In the smal pons yu can see their trail as they go alongand eat algae. I just think they are cool looking and do not see a real plus or minus on having them. I like tothink they are helping. I am guessing by now I have a couplehundred ithe pond. Inever count them. LOL And yes they over winter very well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just got an order of the trapdoor snails from trickers. Nice big snails, all alive, crawling around with 1/2 hour of being put in the pond, more than I ordered. And as a bonus, they either had babies or some were just in the mix, 6 little baby trap doors.

Ask a Question