Tapdoor Snails

Reaction score
Does anyone use Trapdoor snails in thier pond? I have read that they are very benificial to algae control, also read that not enough to really make an impact.

thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are a lot of pros and cons regarding these. When they die, they can contaminate the water, on the other hand while they are alive they have some benefit to the pond. Koiguy and Koikeepr I think have both ends covered and may chime in.

PS3

Reaction score
Koijam what part of long island are u from iam from islip
but i was going to put some Trapdoor snails in my pond but i dont need them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
trippers on line has them, they run around a dollar a piece. Seen them on ebay also. The more you buy the better price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy - thanks for that link, that's the best price I've seen for trapdoors! So what's the deal with the Melantho snails? I've never heard of them, but I'm all for having a variety of snails in my pond to help keep things cleaned up. Anyone ever used them?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i put one of their packages in, with a variety of snails. including those, put them in the pond(s), I have seen the trapdoors and a few of the smaller ones. No algae issues at all, the one little pond with a lil algae is the one I did not put snails in. But it might also be the bog working like it should.

I am thinking of getting more trapdoors, but I am not sure there is enough food for them.

Reaction score
I have several trapdoor snails. I didn't notice any algae reduction at all. My water quality has greatly improved by using bacterias & enzymes.

Ask a Question