Temperature and Feeding

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
.As such then it stands to reason, that koi bred in differing Regions around the world would react differently.
Have you ever had a koi that hated Soft Water ?
"We had one koi bought from Yeovil a Hard Water Area and during QT it suddenly lost all its Yellow pigmentation , the reason we later learned from the Dealer , was we have a Soft water Pond , it quite simply didnt like the water.......so if differences in waters Chemical signatures that can effect different koi in differing ways?......then surely its logical to say , that differences of temperature can also effect different koi in differing ways also and as such then surely he would be correct in saying so yes ?Dave

This is exactly the point that I am making. Since fish physiology not only varies from specie to specie, it also varies within a specie based on genetics and adaption to geographical locations and water quality parameters. It has bee shown that Carp/Koi that are adapted respectively to Northern climates and Southern climates differ in several ways. Two (2) of which are Southern adapted carp/Koi have more (read better developed) red muscle tissue than their Northern counterparts and conversely Northern adapted carp/Koi have a greater ventricular mass than their Southern cousins. Point being, as I stated, there is NO true cut-off temperature for feeding that applies to fish, in this case carp/Koi. This premise is partially borne out by what the Food manufacturers are now advising. If your fish indicate that they are still eating....FEED THEM.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This is exactly the point that I am making. Since fish physiology not only varies from specie to specie, it also varies within a specie based on genetics and adaption to geographical locations and water quality parameters. It has bee shown that Carp/Koi that are adapted respectively to Northern climates and Southern climates differ in several ways. Two (2) of which are Southern adapted carp/Koi have more (read better developed) red muscle tissue than their Northern counterparts and conversely Northern adapted carp/Koi have a greater ventricular mass than their Southern cousins. Point being, as I stated, there is NO true cut-off temperature for feeding that applies to fish, in this case carp/Koi. This premise is partially borne out by what the Food manufacturers are now advising. If your fish indicate that they are still eating....FEED THEM.
Basically what your saying Meyer is that the 10c cut off os a human ruling set out by the powers that be yes ?
I will give you that my friend but were is all the manufacturer's evidence I cant recall reading any coldwater feeding tests results being published on the subject all of a sudden we could feed down to 2c but our expert's seem to be saying different still in that the cut off is 10c.
The results stated about the differences developing between our koi is truely fastenating do you have the paper on it please as I'd love to read it, has anyone done the same tests on koi on the different continents to see if there are other differences coming to the fore ?

Dave .

Ask a Question