Water temperature for fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We are getting near ready to put some comets and shubunkins in our pond, but I' m a little concerned about the temperature. I haven't taken it yet (don't have a submersible thermometer, but will get one if needed.) I live in Middle Tennessee, and right now the heat index is 107. It's sweltering, and the water is lukewarm. Is there a maximum temp for fish to stay healthy? Or is it more a matter of providing shade for them?

The pond is about 1000 gallons with surface area of about 80 sq feet. We have a waterfall and just got a more powerful pump (Laguna Max-Flo 2400 GPH) to improve aeration and push material into the skimmer (and now we can hear it from the bedroom. Yay!). We have a spillway filled with lava rocks. We haven't added any chemicals.

I tested the water for the first time the other day. I was surprised by how clear the water is when put it in the test tube.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 7.6 (although it was like half a shade darker than the chart, so I better do a high Ph test.)

Plants:
Anacharis
Frog's bit provides some shade
2 new water lilies that aren't yet providing much shade.
swamp milkweed
variegated cattail
Four leaf clover
Hibiscus rose
Black taro
Arrowhead

Creatures:
A lone frog who croaks into the night <3

Aside from wanting fish because they're delightful, I'm also hoping they'll eat a little of the algae that is floating up from the rocks and anacharis. First I thought it was the frog's bit, but it was just collecting around it and coming from the anacharis. I think the pond simply gets too much sun, and we're even thinking of installing a retractable shade. It's just unbearable out, but we want to spend time by our pond and continue to tweak things and garden. But I know that algae is part of the ecosystem and am not ready to go to war.

Hope I provided enough info. Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hot and muggy here in Cincinnati too, but not 107 - yikes!

Providing shade in the pond for fish, is important.....I have water lilies and notice they like to hang under them during the sunniest time of the day. We put up shade sails for additional shade over the pond and adjoining patio, as we lost a big tree last year.

The assortment of plants in your pond sound very pretty!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish and Koi can handle water temperatures that are quite high >85F.
What should be of concern is that the temperature in the pond and the temperature that the fish are coming from be as close to the same as possible. Sever temperature shock can quickly kill a fish.
Some shade is recommended for a pond, not so much to alleviate water temperatures, but to protect the fish from sunburn. Yes, fish can get sunburn too!
If floating plants, i.e. Waterlilies, Azolla, Nuphar etc., are used at least 40% coverage should be the goal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Goldfish and Koi can handle water temperatures that are quite high >85F.
What should be of concern is that the temperature in the pond and the temperature that the fish are coming from be as close to the same as possible. Sever temperature shock can quickly kill a fish.
Some shade is recommended for a pond, not so much to alleviate water temperatures, but to protect the fish from sunburn. Yes, fish can get sunburn too!
If floating plants, i.e. Waterlilies, Azolla, Nuphar etc., are used at least 40% coverage should be the goal.

Thanks! So to avoid temperature shock, would you put them into tub and gradually increase the temp? I've seen people open the bag and let it float on the water to acclimate them. Is that for water temp?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've seen people open the bag and let it float on the water to acclimate them. Is that for water temp?

That is the theory, but it fails to consider one main important fact, that is, fish do not adjust to temperature changes of more than a couple of degrees very quickly, much less in 20 or 30 minutes.
You first need to determine what the actual temperature difference is.and, Yes, I would place them in a tank and gradually adjust the water temperature until it is within 5 degrees Fahrenheit of the pond. You may need to monitor the Ammonia level in the tub while this adjustment takes place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is the theory, but it fails to consider one main important fact, that is, fish do not adjust to temperature changes of more than a couple of degrees very quickly, much less in 20 or 30 minutes.
You first need to determine what the actual temperature difference is.and, Yes, I would place them in a tank and gradually adjust the water temperature until it is within 5 degrees Fahrenheit of the pond. You may need to monitor the Ammonia level in the tub while this adjustment takes place.

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sent up some large umbrellas at pond edge, with a small table and 2 chairs. Its a great place to have a glass of wine after work. They dont shade whole pond, but enough to give fish a place to go.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Comets are a temperate fish that do best in ponds not tanks as they require huge amounts of water.

Ideal temperatures are 15 to 22 degrees C and in a pond can go down to about 6 degrees C during the winter months so long as they have no ice on the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Comets are a temperate fish that do best in ponds not tanks as they require huge amounts of water.

Ideal temperatures are 15 to 22 degrees C and in a pond can go down to about 6 degrees C during the winter months so long as they have no ice on the pond.

I must differ. It has been shown that Goldfish thrive in water temperatures of 25C to 30C with a maximum temperature of 35C.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
http://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish-care/tank/goldfish-tank-temperature/ says

"Your goldfish will become very stressed if kept in water of 30°C/86°F or more. Avoid placing your tank in direct sunlight or near radiators so that your water temperature stays well below this level."

"If you’re not interested in breeding your goldfish then you should keep your temperature at a steady temperature all year round. A tank temperature of approximately 23°C/74°F will be high enough to encourage a good rate of growth in your goldfish,"

"If you intend to breed your goldfish then, rather than maintaining a steady temperature all year round, you should try to replicate the temperature changes that occur in nature. Goldfish spawn in the spring, when water temperatures rise after the cold winter. Therefore, to encourage your goldfish to lay eggs, you should lower the temperature of your tank in the winter months to between 10°C/50°F and 12°C/54°F. Then, when you want to induce breeding, gradually raise the temperature of the water to between 20°C/68°F and 23°C/74°F."

Idk if this information is verified or true, but its just what the "standard" is I presume.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is this from someone whose livelihood depends on having the correct info.

These are unedited copies of an email that I sent to Blackwater Creek Koi Farm earlier today and the resulting reply-

Meyer Jordan <[email protected]>

Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:22 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Hi-
Having conducted business with Blackwater Creek in past years, I am fully aware of your expertise on Koi and Goldfish breeding and rearing.
I have a question for which there seems to be little agreement on between the hobbyists and the scientific community. That being--What is the optimal temperature range for growth and color for Goldfish? What is the range that your facilities strive for?
Thank you in advance for taking your time to respond.

Cheryl <[email protected]>

Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM
To: Meyer Jordan <[email protected]>

Meyer,

The optimal temperature is 70-82 deg. Our grow out ponds can be as warm as 90deg + during the summer. When the fish are up in tanks temperatures range from 72-78 deg depending on how much water exchange from the well as our well water temp is 72 deg. In the ponds our greatest factor is oxygen that we watch for as the goldfish can handle a wide range of temperatures and do just fine. Hope that information helps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

I'm curious where you have this information from.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There is this from someone whose livelihood depends on having the correct info.

These are unedited copies of an email that I sent to Blackwater Creek Koi Farm earlier today and the resulting reply-

Meyer Jordan <[email protected]>

Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 1:22 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)
Hi-
Having conducted business with Blackwater Creek in past years, I am fully aware of your expertise on Koi and Goldfish breeding and rearing.
I have a question for which there seems to be little agreement on between the hobbyists and the scientific community. That being--What is the optimal temperature range for growth and color for Goldfish? What is the range that your facilities strive for?
Thank you in advance for taking your time to respond.

Cheryl <[email protected]>

Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM
To: Meyer Jordan <[email protected]>

Meyer,

The optimal temperature is 70-82 deg. Our grow out ponds can be as warm as 90deg + during the summer. When the fish are up in tanks temperatures range from 72-78 deg depending on how much water exchange from the well as our well water temp is 72 deg. In the ponds our greatest factor is oxygen that we watch for as the goldfish can handle a wide range of temperatures and do just fine. Hope that information helps.

Wow, thanks so much!

Ask a Question