Thanks, and info...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for the kind welcome and snippets of advice. I have been testing the water quality with API testers for around 12 months, always the results appear spot-on. water is clear, can see even the tiniest gravel chips sitting on the floor of the pond. While I have 2 filters integral to the pump (1fine, 1 coarse) plus integral UV light, I wasn't sure this was enough, so took the fountain flow through a hose to an external "filter" perched on the edge of the pond. It's just a 10 liter tub with lid, has holes on the bottom edge for water to escape, and a piece of upholstery foam sitting on an old halogen oven grill (necessity is the mother of invention!) Anyway, it's working so far. However, I'm tired of having to clean out the large amount of gunk from all 3 filters twice a week, plus I have a suspicion that I'm actually seeing good water parameters due to large clumps of iris, iris siberica (quite modest and well mannered) and yellow flag iris, which has long since burst out of its pot and is marching across the pond. I've sawn a chunk of root off but this won't slow it down for long. Hence thinking about making a bog filter. I'd like to get rid of the yellow flag altogether, it's just too big for such a tiny pond and keep the siberica in the pond. There's other types of plants as well, but they're more manageable.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes, the yellow flag can take over! I removed it from my bog several years ago. Bog filter is the way to go, the only work you will need to do is thin out the plants 1-2 times a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Consider Japanese iris, ensata, superb blooms and very sedate, well behaved growing habits...

Attachments

• 5pinstripe.jpg
    5pinstripe.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 21ensata-kogesha6.jpg
    21ensata-kogesha6.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 11gracieuse6.jpg
    11gracieuse6.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    20iris_ensata_variegata6.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 16 jap snowdrift6.jpg
    16 jap snowdrift6.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consider Japanese iris, ensata, superb blooms and very sedate, well behaved growing habits...

They're gorgeous! Can they sit up to their necks in water?
Am I wrong to have a conversation in the "Introduction" section? Apologies if so.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Am I wrong to have a conversation in the "Introduction" section? Apologies if so.
you are fine.

My Japanese iris are in water. Crowns above and below the water and they freeze and come back every spring.

Ask a Question