That Moment .....

Reaction score
That moment when you test your 2 month old pond and everything is testing perfect. ahhhhhh! Savoring the moment. The pond is crystal clear, the fish are happy and the water seems to have found its groove.

Now if only my water hyacinths would get with it, I would have a perfect pond.

Can't have it all I guess.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Congrats on your pond tests and wow you are in a nice warm place for ponding year round..................now stop complaining about your water hyacinths...............you are making us all feel bad

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Way to go! take some of the wh out of the pond, stick them in a tub with fertilizer, give them a boost see if that gets them going. They also like to be tight together, I used to tie a rope around mine to keep them close. They grew better and bloomed better.

Reaction score
Today I went by the plant store where I bought the stupid WH at and guess what ....? They are clearing out the pond because the WH choked the pump. So they were throwing them out ......... the guy gave me a few and told me to come back tomorrow and he would give me more. Now that they are netted, I don't think the fish will get to their roots. If it doesn't work, you will never hear complain about them again. LOL!

Yes, ponding all year long! I can't believe it took me this long to get started.

And I LOVE that I stumbled on this forum. What a great group of people! With some AMAZING ponding experience!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow free wish that would happen here for me .Thing is I buy them and they get overstocked and i give them to every one else

Reaction score
Sissy, what is your secret? Do you keep them in with the fish? I have koi and one large tilapia (he was my free tester fish, but now I can't catch him, so he's there's to stay, eating my expensive koi food and living a leisurely life in paradise). I think the koi and tilapia ate the roots of my first batch. I now have them netted to see if they will make a come back.

Dave - any tips from you?

I don't understand, these things are suppose to be weeds! Everything is happy in the pond, lots of different types of plants. BUT not the 'weed'.

I'm obsessed with these plants because I know they are suppose to be such good filters, but also because I LOVE the flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't grow hyacinths either. I think it may have something to do with the hardness of our water. I keep trying though!

Reaction score
Lisa, my water is very hardy so that maybe the problem.

I just can't believe it - these things are used to clean waste water - why would they care about some minerals???? ARGGGGG!!! So frustrating.

Let go Priscilla, just let go ..... sip your wine and forget about the gorgeous purple flower blooms .... sip the wine.

LOL!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Hate to be a spoil sport yet water hacyinths are considered an invasive plant in some states. WH's are illegal to own here in Texas. The fear is the plants will get released in natural waterways and over populate. I love them. So beautiful. There is a good article about this water plant on Wikipedia. Goggle "eichhornia crassipes".

Last edited:

Ask a Question