morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
that I've ever had the waterfall/filters up and running. Vacuumed out yesterday, filters re-assembled. March 16th....wow.
This isn't generally done until at least the end of April. If this is Global Warming, where do I send my check?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
that I've ever had the waterfall/filters up and running. Vacuumed out yesterday, filters re-assembled. March 16th....wow.
This isn't generally done until at least the end of April. If this is Global Warming, where do I send my check?
It is the same situation here to morewater, here weve basically almost carried on as normal in the South West of the UK throughout the winter months at 05:00 we have an outside temperature of 5.0c and our pond temperature is 10.8c .
The filters will have to wait a few more weeks however before I give them their early spring clean up

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everything up and running, daffodils full bloom, peach tree in full bloom, three inches of snow coming Sunday.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Got about a half-hour of snow this morning. Just above freezing, though, so it didn't stay. Pond still only 40 F.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I am hoping I can put the de-icers away after this week. I haven't had to plug them in since about 3 weeks ago. I pulled them out two weeks ago but they're next to the pond just in case we get one last oddball cold blast.

Other than that--the crocuses are blooming, tulips, daffodils, hostas are alread sprouting, the grass just started greening up in the past few days, tiny leaves are now on the shrubs along the house... VERY early spring for the Chicago area. We had a mild winter, so I'm not surprised, but I'm just afraid of this also becoming a really bad year for allergies.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
, but I'm just afraid of this also becoming a really bad year for allergies.

Not just because I raise bees, I started a few years back, using raw unprocessed honey from local bee keepers. I used to have a running faucet for a nose if I went outside. Within 6 months or so of using some honey every day, like a tsp a day, my allergies are almost non existent.
I did not have allergies until I moved back here from Arizona, was totally miserable every spring. Now I don't notice the pollen's.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You said the two important parts - UNPROCESSED and LOCAL. The local part is especially important as you are being constantly exposed to local pollen in small doses.
It has saved me from misery. I now eat my own honey after spending a ton we got some last year. Bees are not cheap to raise lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Not just because I raise bees, I started a few years back, using raw unprocessed honey from local bee keepers. I used to have a running faucet for a nose if I went outside. Within 6 months or so of using some honey every day, like a tsp a day, my allergies are almost non existent.
I did not have allergies until I moved back here from Arizona, was totally miserable every spring. Now I don't notice the pollen's.
My friends used to raise a small colony of bees. Wish they still had it... I know they got honey from it a couple times before the nest failed. Maybe one of the local farmer's markets will have honey. I will do ANYthing to avoid allergies this year. Last year I wound up with sinus issues so bad I was getting small bouts of vertigo 4-5 times a day thanks to it aggravating a chronic inner-ear condition I have. It took over a month of a slew of allergy meds, Singulair, and decongestants (plus allergy season ending) to drain everything and get me functional again. I would give anything not to have to go through 6 months of that misery again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
My friends used to raise a small colony of bees. Wish they still had it... I know they got honey from it a couple times before the nest failed. Maybe one of the local farmer's markets will have honey. I will do ANYthing to avoid allergies this year. Last year I wound up with sinus issues so bad I was getting small bouts of vertigo 4-5 times a day thanks to it aggravating a chronic inner-ear condition I have. It took over a month of a slew of allergy meds, Singulair, and decongestants (plus allergy season ending) to drain everything and get me functional again. I would give anything not to have to go through 6 months of that misery again.
Propolis being a bye product of a have is used in the treating of wounds of fish and adding to their food we could ask addy if she has any :)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
teemkay, I've heard that honey is the best for fighting local allergies. The key, as mentioned above, is getting from locally raised bees. If you have farmer's markets up by you, and I'm sure you do, go get a supply! Even if it's in a gallon container, it's wayyyyy cheaper than at the store, and it lasts for a very long time. If it turns solid, you simply need to heat it up. My daughter and SIL buy it by the 5 gallon bucket, and it's the most yummy stuff to even snack on raw. LOL Now I need to take my own medicine and buy some myself! And, while I'm at it, thinking I'm going to buy a container for my boss, who typically takes a couple of sick days a month due to allergies and the symptoms she suffers from them.

Ask a Question