The fish that's always hiding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As I mentioned in other threads, I have this baby koi that's been hiding in a cave since day one.
I hardly ever see him, and thought for sure I'd find him dead in the skimmer someday, but haven't.
He has never come out to eat with the other fish, the only time I see him is when I lower the water level, or tap the stones that form the cave, then he comes out and swims around, and he seems fine.
My question is...what happens when the water starts to freeze? The cave he stays in is right at the surface, do you guys think he will then join the rest of the fish at the bottom of the pond?

Here's a pic. that orange spot you see, it's his head popping out, but I normally don't see him and I wish he stayed out with the rest of the fish
20170924_114345.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would think that he/she would naturally go to the deeper water when the freezing comes. Does it ever come out to eat? It must or it would be dead. Not much you can do about whatever it chooses to do. If it doesn't come out then I guess you could force it out and plug the cave but if it's made up it's mind to stay in there maybe it just needs to take the penalty flag and go to the place where frozen fish go :(

Reaction score
He will go to the bottom but next year he will interact with the other fish. If you put two small ones in you would find that they would stick together and maybe even venture into the area that the bigger fish are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does it ever come out to eat? It must or it would be dead.
No, He never has!
It's been over 4 months, he must be feeding on algae and whatever else is in the pond, but not much cause he's not growing much
I check on him, (force him out) weekly, just to make sure he was still alive...when he does come out, he swims around checking things out for a minute or two, then heads back to the cave
He will go to the bottom but next year he will interact with the other fish. If you put two small ones in you would find that they would stick together and maybe even venture into the area that the bigger fish are.
I hope so!
I got him along with another fish, the other one joined the group right away and he never did!

Reaction score
I upped my fish population to 6 (2900 gallon pond) when I added two fish they stuck together when I added one fish it did just as yours is doing. I thought the fish had died but the next season he was alive and well and joined the rest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The thing that worries me the most is that he (I hope it's a he) doesn't seem to have grown! Obviously he's eating something to survive, but I wonder if that's enough to make him strong enough to make it through the winter

I've added fish several times over the years (I exchange large fish for small ones) and I have never had a fish hiding this long...even the babies born in the pond they've always avoided me for a while, but were ok with the other fish

I hope he's just scared cause he is a beautiful koi

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder if he comes out when you are not looking. Fish are pretty good at seeing and sensing the presence of predators and if he's an extra scared fish for some reason maybe he only comes out when he thinks it's ok. You need a hidden camera @Gemma :cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wonder if he comes out when you are not looking. Fish are pretty good at seeing and sensing the presence of predators and if he's an extra scared fish for some reason maybe he only comes out when he thinks it's ok. You need a hidden camera @Gemma :cool:
Maybe, but shouldn't he had grown if he was out and about?
I don't go by the pond other than to feed the fish or rinse the filter, but I often look at it from my kitchen window, I've never seen him out, and there is no way I could miss the metallic orange head, if he was out in the open

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is a view from my kitchen window, I can see pretty clear all the way to the bottom
20170911_131059.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe the little sucker is a female and has been harassed by the males? Could that be possible? Not much you can do other than wait and watch and hope he/she makes it. Next year it might be more outgoing if it makes it through the winter. If you could catch it you could bring it inside for the winter but then it might get scared to death being in a strange place all over again. It would have to have a cave :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe someone with a smaller pond would be happy to rehome said shy dwarf Koi :whistle:
No way! He is beautiful and I love him!
This is a pic of when he was for sale...he has blue sides but it really doesn't matter cause he's a Kin Kikokuryu and they are known to change patterns and colors several times before reaching maturity
Kikokuryu new.jpg

Your fish are really pretty. Obviously it's a man cave. I would try turning off the cable tv and unplug the beer frig and see if he comes out!

smrollingfloor.gif

Ask a Question