The hole in my backyard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice pond. You will have a little work in front of you but it will be worth it in the end. Your getting some great advice. Do not rush into it, think about how you want the end result. It will be easier to do it now then later. I would keep it as big as possible, more work now will make maintenance easier later.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank everyone for the positive comments. I am reading all the bog information I can find and trying to get a better idea of the best way to proceed. I'm sure I will have more questions after I get a better handle on what will possibly work and what won't. I do have another quick question. If I put the new liner in, build a waterfall to aerate the water and pot a few plants in the bottom with a submersible filter/pump and plan on cleaning it out every year would that be the easiest and least expensive way to go?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Great looking hole!! I like the look of the shape of the pond. Though it certainly looks like there's a ton of work ahead of you!!

Are you sure that the liner is actually leaking? If it's an EDPM liner, they're tough to put a hole in and generally last practically forever. I think mine had a 20 year guarantee. Could there be a low spot letting water out? Or maybe even mistaking normal evaporation for a leak? It would be great for you if you didn't need to buy another liner.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Max384, and there are a number of holes in the liner. I discovered one on Saturday while digging some of the dirt away from the side.... By "discovered" I mean a snake came slithering out of the hole, scaring the crap out of me. So yeah, I've got a hole. Lol Also the kidney section on the far side of the pond is not covered as high as the rest of the pond only allowing it to fill to a certain height. I am going to use a recycled billboard tarp which is relatively inexpensive and if I make sure to cover the liner that is exposed to sun with rocks, I think I'll get quite a few years out of it.

Reaction score
Great looking hole!! I like the look of the shape of the pond. Though it certainly looks like there's a ton of work ahead of you!!

Are you sure that the liner is actually leaking? If it's an EDPM liner, they're tough to put a hole in and generally last practically forever. I think mine had a 20 year guarantee. Could there be a low spot letting water out? Or maybe even mistaking normal evaporation for a leak? It would be great for you if you didn't need to buy another liner.
My first thought was, man look at the stuff in there and I don't see 1 rock responsible for it!!! o.k.I'm a bad snarky person, time to let go a be free!!!

Reaction score
If I put the new liner in, build a waterfall to aerate the water and pot a few plants in the bottom with a submersible filter/pump and plan on cleaning it out every year would that be the easiest and least expensive way to go?

See there are way too many variables to answer that with a yes or no. If you have a large bog with tons of plants and a reasonable fish load then you may not ever have to clean the bog. If the bog is small and you have a lot of fish, it is going to become a cesspool of filth and cleaning it will be miserable.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm planning on no fish right now. I'm not sure if that will allow the bog to still flourish without the fish poo, hopefully someone will chime in on that subject. I struggle keeping my 16 year old fed and watered, I'm just not confident that I won't constantly find dead floaters... (fish, not 16 year olds, lol).

Reaction score
OK no fish then it pretty much doesn't matter what you do. You will have to fertilize the plants though if you want good blooms etc. I do basicallty nothing with my pond and rarely have a dead fish. To each their own. Enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks Max384, and there are a number of holes in the liner. I discovered one on Saturday while digging some of the dirt away from the side.... By "discovered" I mean a snake came slithering out of the hole, scaring the crap out of me. So yeah, I've got a hole. Lol Also the kidney section on the far side of the pond is not covered as high as the rest of the pond only allowing it to fill to a certain height. I am going to use a recycled billboard tarp which is relatively inexpensive and if I make sure to cover the liner that is exposed to sun with rocks, I think I'll get quite a few years out of it.

Haha. I guess holes with snakes coming out are a pretty good indication it has a leak! When you rebuild the pond, make sure to level it out good so you can have it filled all the way. And when you add dirt to level it, make sure to compact the dirt well... otherwise, you'll be adding dirt under the edge of the liner after the dirt settles... wonder how I know that? Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Welcome! Congrats on inheriting a "nice hole." It's great that you are so enthusiastic about the project... can't wait to see what you turn it into! My opinion on fish: I can't imagine life without them. Feeding them, watching them swim and grow... so relaxing and rewarding! Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll be enjoying your pond (and those cold drinks) in no time!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So after reading about bogs this is my tentative plan, (feel free to "poke holes"). Dig out as much of the liner as I can, and poke holes into the area where I can't, (ok, ok where I'm too lazy to), dig it out. Remove the top layer of muck and then dig so the left side is 12-18" deep for the bog and the right side is at least 3 feet deep so I can eventually have fish. I have to figure out the berm between bog and pond, although I like the idea of rough rock since it will essentially serve as a waterfall. I have to do a bit more homework on how that best works. I am now looking at submersible pumps, and trying to figure out the best way to collect leaves, run the pump, etc. I have a tree above the pond that sheds like a cat in the fall and I'd rather not have to put in a skimmer, just plan on cleaning it out every fall or spring. And of course, compact any dirt I use in the process :)

Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to install a skimmer at the opposite end of the pond as the waterfall. You put the pump in the skimmer. What happens is that the flow from the waterfall pushes the leaves etc towards the skimmer, which skims the debris off the top of the pond before it can sink. You put a prefilter in the skimmer to trap large debris like leaves, then the pump in the skimmer sends the water to the bog, which waterfalls back into the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Another hole to dig... I feel that this is a theme with you pond people. Heeheeee. Ok so a skimmer with a pump inside of it with a basket, I'm assuming, to catch the floaty crap and then it pushes the water to the top of the bog which cleans it, before having it trickle back into my pond. And I'm assuming I buy this based on the water volume in my pond, I think I've read making sure it recycles all of the water in 2 hours? Is that right?
Oh another question, how long do I run the pump? Everyday all day, During the day only? Summer only? Only when eating doughnuts and standing on 1 leg?

Reaction score
Well, you really shouldn't have to dig much more to install a skimmer. And most people run the water to the BOTTOM of the bog, not the top. The water should flow UP through the gravel, so that gravity, the rocks, and the roots of the plants can filter the debris. My pond is around 1600 gallons and my pump is 1300 gph. That is obviously not even once per hour but I do not have any water quality problems. You should buy a skimmer based on size of your pump, which should in turn be based on size of pond. You can't get a 2000 gph pump and then attach it to a skimmer designed to handle 1000 gph, know what i mean?

Ask a Question