The not so great horned owl!

Reaction score
Yea Im gonna set up a webcam....she laid the eggs right outside my spare bedroom window! Everytime I walk out front she still scares the crap out of me when she gets up and flies away!

Reaction score
Here are 3 pics:

One is of the first egg she laid...she has laid 2 more since then.

The next is her standing on the roof next to the nest.

The last is her flying away...was trying to take a pic but she is startled easily.

I will take more this weekend they should hatch any day now!View attachment 4691

View attachment 4692

View attachment 4693

Attachments

• 1st egg.jpg
    1st egg.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 304
  • flying.jpg
    flying.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 311
  • fb.jpg
    fb.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 304

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How so very neat! I would love to have one nest where I could watch!

Reaction score
I set up my decoy the night before last, and I have sat in the dark for a little while with lights shining around, no owl, so maybe it is working. I do know that the owl decoy makes my little dogs nervous, they used to play around the pond, now they growl everytime they go near it! The first time the decoy turned its head and hooted my Boston Terrier nearly expired!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh my how funny! glad it is working at this time

Reaction score
Around my neck of the woods Herons are the big problem even in the City - I haul Gizzard Shad for bait & the other night had a screach Owl land in the top of a 55 gallon tank of Shad and grab a fist full. I'm not sure who was more spooked me or that tiny little Owl

Reaction score
I have not seen any more of the owl, so hopefully that problem has been solved. I have attached deer netting to our fence to try and keep out snakes and other creepy crawlies, and that has worked like a champ! I have caught two water snakes in the last 36 hours. I am seriously considering putting it up all along our fence, but that might be a bit expensive we have 500 linear feet of fencing)......I really hate snakes, so it might be worth the cost...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh geeze poor dog warren -tax scare the 10 years off the dogs life What did your sons wife say dr case as I know my neighbors yorkie got snatched by a fox and she was really upset and now has her house up for sale .She said the countries not for her

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Warren - I had a problem with snakes in the pond, pool and yard until last year, when I found an abandoned kitten in a tree. When he grew up, no more snakes.

DrDave - I agree!!! I LOVE living in the country and couldn't imagine living in a subdivision. Horrible.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh As they thought country living was so easy and they have to small children and they moved here with the 2 yorkies but never thought of wild animals .I was raised in the country as a kid so know the risks but still hate the snakes

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rather have snakes than a cat lol, they kill way to many natural critters

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A cheap scare tactic to keep away Herons, Owls, hawks, eagles and pretty much any predatory bird. Tie two to four CD's to a fishing line with a small weight at the end. point a solar powered light in the direction on the hanging CD's. the reflection helps scare off most birds of that type. It will however scare some smaller birds off too. I have noticed far less hiummingbirds and wrens since I installed these. I found a solar led spot light (which helps scare at night really well!) at walmart for $10, four used CD's for free, 3' of fishing string I grabbed off of my fishing pole and a small nut for weight. It may not be 100% effective but I haven't had any more cranes stealing fish since I did this.
I guess I also must mention that after $1000 worth of fish got eaten in a two week period at Christmas I have done the CD's, A PVC with wire mesh to place over the pond, a plastic blue Heron that I move every two to three days, and the water motion scare crow which I hate due to the fact I always forget when it is on and I end up getting sprayed or I forget and to turn it on after working in the yard which does no good when your away from the area not knowing it isn't working. (stinks getting old and forgetfull) I had black netting over my pond before the heron started eating fish. that bird was smart enough to stand in the middle of the net, grab the fish and pull the fish out the side thru the rocks. Folks I'm talking 3#-5# 12"-16" Koi! Not just the little guys!

Ask a Question