The not so great horned owl!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RSFish1 said:
I always thought you were supposed to have one black koi in your pond for good luck. Yes he disappears against the background easily. But he is always one of the first to stick his head out of the water at feeding time.
The Chagoi was what I was taught is the good luck Koi but I have heard more than once that the black is suppose to be too. My true black was kind of shy and rarely came up to my hands where as my Chagoi was feeding out of my hands in just three or four days. As far as the black being good luck, I have my doubts as he was the second fish to come up missing when the crane showed up this winter. guess he wwasn't very lucky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Fishin'- I told my hubby about the CD's and he took some bo-peep poles that we use to hang my candle lanterns on and tied fishing line with 3 cd's on each and placed them in two spots around the pond. I must say we do not have an led light on them, but the colors they are shining are so pretty. They look nice hanging there, so thank for the tip- I just hope they don't scare away too many of my other interesting birds that stop by for a drink. I am an avid bird watcher, but I will deal with it if it means keeping that darned Heron out of here.

Another word on country life- yes big dogs good, small dogs, not. We have two out buildings just out behind the house. There is a portico between the two buildings and we keep our secured garbage hopper behind one of the buildings. My hubby has his studio in one of them. Last night around 8:00 I was suiting up to take the Greyhounds out for their after dinner walk. All of a sudden they started barking like mad. They do that from time to time when excited. Just as I was about to reach for the leashes I saw what they were barking about. Our 350 lb. black bear was helping himself to a drink in the upper pond. OK, good thing I hadn't made it out of the house yet. However, hubby and friend were in the studio and knew that their dinner would be served in about 15 minutes. I tried to call into the studio with the intercom. They didn't pick up, called the cell phones, they didn't pick up. Now I am worried that they will exit the studio and guess what the bear was now 3 feet from the studio door! This bear is very passive, as long as you can yell at him he just slunks off back into the woods. I opened the window and yelled while he was sniffing the garbage hopper, at the same time finally got the guys on the phone and the bear was gone.
They came out of the studio banging drum cymbals! I was ringing my cowbell chimes by the house. The bear encounter was averted! I love our bear and I just pray that I never spook him. I know that they will only attack when they feel threatened.
Sorry for the long post :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mouseams, I was given this little recipe when we had out cabin in N.C. It works in helping to keep, Bears, raccoons, opossums, dogs, cats, and deer away from unwanted areas,
1-hand held sprat bottle ($1 at most gen. dollar stores)
3-jalapeno peppers
3-habanero peppers
2 table spoon of crushed red pepper or Chinese pepper
2-large onions, the stronger the scent the better.
1 cup of white vinegar.
1/4 cup of dish washing liquid, Reg soup scented, not citrus or floral as this is a attractant.
Blend the peppers, onions, crushed peppers and vinegar in a blender until liquefied, Drain through a sieve to get all the solids out. Take the liquid and place in a small spray bottle, add dish washing liquid (Don't put the dish washing liquid in the blender with the rest!!!!!! Makes a Huge foamy mess that burns like #$&@!!!!) and top off with water, you can spray this on flowers, garbage cans, your backdoor area, pretty much anywhere you don't want the animal to go. It won't harm them but it will make them leave the area.
I do recommend using latex or similar gloves when making this and spraying it use precaution when spraying so as not to allow the wind to blow back on you when spraying. the dish soup makes it adhere to what it's sprayed on, the vinegar preserves the mixture to help it last longer, however, after a rain it does need to be reapplied and also after about two weeks if it has not rained. worked GREAT for us, we had a young bear that would not leave the garbage bin alone, He/she actually ripped it off the side of the cabin one night and I was getting fed up with it when I was told this by a man that lived in his cabin right up the road, The bear would still come around but he learned to stay away from the Garbage can and my back porch.
On the CD's, the LED spot light is only there to make the CD's flash at night. I found some at walmart for $10 each and one or two aimed from different directions helps spread out the flash. As for the other birds, It might startle some for a bit but I can say I have a little wren that has her nest within 3' of my CD's and she has been seen more than once actually sitting on one of the cd's for a few seconds before moving on or getting up in her nest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Hey thanks fishin. We have some spots on the pond and the CD's were reflecting a lot of light last night- so pretty. I had a pair of horneds last year up in the mountain, but they did not return this year. I even made hubby get me night vision binoculurs to try and find them. Didn't work.
Good to know about the wren, we have them here, too and sometimes the spook easily.
I guess I will have to try and mix up a cocktail for our friends. I would really love to get these two ferile cats to stay away.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishin4cars, I'm glad that you were the test subject for the spray stuff so all of us here don't have to suffer like you did concocting it the proper way :) :lol:
I bet that stuff could even keep a mother in law away for awhile anyways :rolleyes:
All kidding aside I bet it works really good. It rains so much here I'd have to be out there every day spraying :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
j.w. maybe you could figure out a way to turn it into a cake of sorts, like a bar of soap that would melt with the rain.
Would probably work better than garlic on the mother in law...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mary, that's a good idea on the solidifying of it...........you might have come up w/ a real money maker on that one :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
:)
Cheers to Slug Soap bars!
Oh well, like all my other hairbrained schemes like lo-cal pizza and the handy dandy kitchen tool that can do it all, I guess i will probably miss the boat on this one too!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
fishin4cars, I'm glad that you were the test subject for the spray stuff so all of us here don't have to suffer like you did concocting it the proper way :) :lol:
I bet that stuff could even keep a mother in law away for awhile anyways :rolleyes:
All kidding aside I bet it works really good. It rains so much here I'd have to be out there every day spraying :confused:

J.W. I would think if you sprayed underneath the leaves and under the bottom side of needed protection areas it would work ok there too, One thing I learned when I sprayed the garbage bin area, ALWAYS TAKE THE GARBAGE OUT FIRST! then spray, that first 24 hrs. after application it's best to stay clear of the area, This stuff is strong but I guess that's why it worked.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh and make sure you don't spray the garbage area right before trash pickup or you may have a very mad, teary eyed garbage collector on your doorstep :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Oh and make sure you don't spray the garbage area right before trash pickup or you may have a very mad, teary eyed garbage collector on your doorstep :)

yea, LOL your right there! We had to haul our own garbage down so I learned quickly when and when not to spray! Thank goodness for us, During the winter the Racoons, and bears wer usually not around much so we didn't have to use it much during that time of the year, I'll be so happy when we can move up there for good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I assume that N. Carolina will be much colder than LA for you when you move up there permanently? Do they get snow up there? If so it will be a bit of an adjustment for you :cold:
My hubby's dad was from LA and he always froze when he came here to visit :rolleyes:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
I assume that N. Carolina will be much colder than LA for you when you move up there permanently? Do they get snow up there? If so it will be a bit of an adjustment for you :cold:
My hubby's dad was from LA and he always froze when he came here to visit :rolleyes:

Oh yea, much colder, but Not a lot of snow, just enough to enjoy it for a little mwhile then usually melts away pretty quickly, We are looking for a plce in the Ga, Tenn, NC area around Chattanooga so it's pretty mild there and should actually be better for the Koi there as it doesn't get as hot as here.

Ask a Question