The not so great horned owl!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Fishin' can you explain how you do these over the pond? Pic maybe?
We were at Cape May last year and we got this flat flamingo that is on a rod and bobs up and down and spins around. I may get a few more of these, but they are only good when there is a breeze.
I grew up in an urband area and have moved to a place alomost country, we back up to a mountain. We hear coyotes, we had a pair of Great Horned last year, couldn't find them even with my night vision binoculars, fox, turkeys deer and bear. We have encountered the bear several times, but thankfully we yell and make noise and he slunks off like a sad kid that got yelled at. Our friends get nervous from our stories, but we must remember, they were here first. I would not give up living here, either.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have mine hung on the corner of my awning. I have two LED lights that point in the direction of the CD's so that they throw light out on different directions. You can also use a small hanger that you would hang a hummingbird feeder from, or simply use a tree or busch branch where the CD's can hang freely. they don't have to be over the pond just close to it. Sorry I had to throw a couple of pics of my fish at night also, It's my favorite time at the pond.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Very cool! Unfortunately my pond is open all around, no where to hang anything like that just yet, but sounds like a great idea. Love your fish, I like the evening and my channel cat comes out for feeding just before dark. Thanks for the info!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Love the pond, very unique design! You could actually get away with doing this in the trees in the background. Just use a branch, or a plant hanger and attach it to a tree. Your pond is perfect because you could hide a solar light behind the mound where the waterfall is shining on to the Cd's and they will reflect very well. It works in about a 100-150 ft radius from where it's set up. It's the flash of reflective light that scares them so during the day the CD's just flutter in the wind and the birds shy away from the flash, At night the solar lights do the job. I also bet it would startle the bear at night with the flashing light. Like I said it's not 100% effective but from what I see. I highly recommend it! Your yard is prefect for it!

Reaction score
Very nice Mary-- Larkin love your night pictures and fish of course--wishing I had enough room for more fish I spotted a black butterfly koi on ebay just now :(

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
blessedfamily said:
Very nice Mary-- Larkin love your night pictures and fish of course--wishing I had enough room for more fish I spotted a black butterfly koi on ebay just now :(

Blessedfamily, Black look like they would be cool but really they don't look as good in a pond they blend in to much!. If you are going to get a black get one that has some white Karasa, Kumonryu, Shiro Utsuri, or a Black and white Kikokuryu. It will stand out far better. I have a black and white Kumonryu, and Black and red Comet, they look ok the kumonryu changes all the time so I guess it's my favorite of the black., The solid black koi didn't show up at all, and My Chagoi which is tea brown shows up better than the black did but it's still pretty blah, But Lucky (the Chagoi) is one of my favorites, He's by far the friendliest and easiest going and he's getting my other koi friendlier. He got his name because I got lucky and bought him for $20 as a LARGE common goldfish. The store owner didn't even know it was a koi much less a butterfly chagoi. The man that brought him in also called him a common goldfish. My understanding he came from 125 gallon aquarium and got to large! DUH, think so!?? LOL I've only had him for about two month's now he's the largest fish in my pics..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Thanks for the compliments. We inherited our pond when we bought the house- it was a pool for his two yellow labs. We started seeing frogs move in and decided to "go with the flow". Even though it looks like those trees are a good spot to hang things the are all verticle Maples and because they are on a hillside I would never reach the lowest branches which are about 20' high. The shrub to the right is Rose of Sharon which I may be cutting down this year, it drops too much in the pond.Will put in some grass instead. I'll see what I can come up, thanks again for the tip!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond mouseams............ grasses look great near a pond

Reaction score
We would love to have cats, our 95 lb rhodesian ridgeback would LOVE it if we kept cats as well (to her they are ambrosia), but that is considered animal cruelty, so we don't have any. My big dog does like to eat snakes after they have been caught in the fence, (as well as squirrels, woodrats, gophers, moles, possums, raccoons, etc., understand why we can't have cats?) so she helps keep the snake problem down. If only I could train her to fend off owls.....

Reaction score
Larkin thanks for the heads on the black koi I wasn't going to buy it anyway because I need another pond :regular_waving_emot I don't know the names of the koi so I just call them black fish,red orange etc lol..have a great day. Amber

Reaction score
I always thought you were supposed to have one black koi in your pond for good luck. Yes he disappears against the background easily. But he is always one of the first to stick his head out of the water at feeding time.

Reaction score
RSFish1 said:
I always thought you were supposed to have one black koi in your pond for good luck. Yes he disappears against the background easily. But he is always one of the first to stick his head out of the water at feeding time.

I like Karasugoi crow koi as well.

Ask a Question