j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My dad was from Tennessee and we drove through there once many yrs ago and it was so beautiful w/ the green rolling hills and all the horse ranches w/ the white fences.
We spent a month driving across country from here all the way to the Florida keys and in between and up to NY, Washington D.C and hither and yon.
I'd like to do that again sometime now that we are retired.
cartravel.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a wren nesting right outside of our door, 2 feet away in a milk carton I had not gotten around to moving yet!

will keep your mixture in mind fishin, thanks. We have some problem animals! not many though. Wonder if it would discourage deer on the lilies?...............humm most likely. They have not been around a lot recently, since the fields are beginning to green up.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy it will help, you might want to try a few deer resistant plants around the outer perimeter of the pond landscaping, Some of them will actually make deer not want to come up to that particular area, although I know they are limited and I don't know what will work for your area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Addy it will help, you might want to try a few deer resistant plants around the outer perimeter of the pond landscaping, Some of them will actually make deer not want to come up to that particular area, although I know they are limited and I don't know what will work for your area.

I have a lot of deer resistant plants, in fact most are deer resistant. They seem to munch more when winter is coming then in the spring and over winter too. I have not seen any new deer prints recently, now the rabbits are running amuck! laughing, but my pup loves to chase them, she can't catch them but she sure tries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Fishin, figure I would ask. Do you or anone out there know a cure to keep ticks away? Our property borders the woods and last week on the first warm day we had I pulled 2 ticks off me and two on one of our dogs. I am tick and tired of ticks! :surfing:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the liquid tick and flea stuff on my pup, just put it on her back (advantix), she has yet to get a tick on her. I have taken two off me. Yes we have woods, grasses and the ticks, hate those suckers.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Gotta watch out for Lymes disease. I know a guy who had to quit hunting because the disease made him so weak he couldn't walk the woods anymore.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mouseams said:
Fishin, figure I would ask. Do you or anone out there know a cure to keep ticks away? Our property borders the woods and last week on the first warm day we had I pulled 2 ticks off me and two on one of our dogs. I am tick and tired of ticks! :(

Sorry, can't help on that one, I used diazanon(sp) for years but it has been banned now and no longer available. MY advice try asking around at local feed and seed stores, If anyone is going to know how to control them in your area best it's going to be folks with dog kennels and horse farms, As said Lyme disease is BAD news,

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sevin powder works great for ticks. And yes lyme disease is nasty, just watch for any tick bite (usually the tiny ticks) that makes a red circular pattern around it. Not just a bump, bulls eye pattern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Know all about Lyme, our Shep that we lost almost 2 years ago had it so bad, we and our vet thought it was arthritis. Wasn't until we took her to the vet closer to home that they suggested Lyme. Poor baby, she did respond extremely well to treatment.
Hubby and I have both been treated for Lyme and it is a bad, bad thing. I have removed 2 deer ticks from me in the last few years, they are SOOOO small!!! You cannot get the disease a second time, but the symptoms can show up at any time and often when you take an antibiotic you get really ill before you get better. I really hate the blood suckers! Will look into the sevin powder and will ask around. Thanks!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mouseams said:
Know all about Lyme, our Shep that we lost almost 2 years ago had it so bad, we and our vet thought it was arthritis. Wasn't until we took her to the vet closer to home that they suggested Lyme. Poor baby, she did respond extremely well to treatment.
Hubby and I have both been treated for Lyme and it is a bad, bad thing. I have removed 2 deer ticks from me in the last few years, they are SOOOO small!!! You cannot get the disease a second time, but the symptoms can show up at any time and often when you take an antibiotic you get really ill before you get better. I really hate the blood suckers! Will look into the sevin powder and will ask around. Thanks!!!
i like it because it can be used on veggies, not a real bad pesticide. I used it in arizona when i had a tick invasion that came with some hay. Wiped them right out. Just sprinkle where you want to kill them.

I have too much land to try and treat it all. Just do ticks checks if I go out in the trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Wondering though, I will need to apply this to the area right behind our pond. I am worried about runoff from the mountain. I also have greyhounds which are very sensitive to things. I would have to try a line across the back of our property which is 200 feet, but the pond is downhill of this.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
toxic to fish, per the label.............sorry thought it might work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Boo- that what was I was afraid of. I guess I will be pullin' ticks. I wonder if I could turn it into an Olympic event? Thanks though for the idea!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is what the net says to do to help control ticks:

Habitat change is very important in tick control. Since ticks cannot hop or fly to get to their host, they must climb onto an object (such as tall vegetation, fences, etc.) and wait for a potential host to travel close by. Detecting shadows, vibrations, exhaled carbon dioxide or other host odors, the tick then drops from their tall perch to attach themselves to their host.

Create ‘tick-free’ zones around your home by cutting back wooded areas and increasing the size of open lawn. Move woodpiles, birdfeeders and birdbaths as far from your house as possible. Mice and chipmunks hide and nest in woodpiles, and eat spilled food from birdfeeders. Birds can spread immature ticks over great distances as they migrate, and they may drop ticks in your yard as they use feeders and birdbaths. Keep your lawn well mowed, to a height of 3 inches or less. This lowers the humidity at ground level, making it difficult for ticks to survive. Also, mice and other small animal hosts avoid these neatly trimmed areas because they cannot easily hide or find food and nesting materials. Keep garbage in tightly closed cans and don’t put pet food outside or purposely attract and feed wild animals. Remove brush, weeds, leaf litter, and other yard debris that attract ticks and their hosts. Reduce the plants in your yard that deer love to eat (such as azaleas, rhododendrons, arborvitae, and crabapple) and increase the plants that they don’t like (such as Colorado blue spruce, Scotch pine, boxwood, daffodils and marigolds). Extension agencies and local nurseries can offer more suggestions for your area. Rake back leaf litter and cut away undergrowth several feet into the edge of any woods that are on or next to your yard. Eliminate dense plant beds close to your house, such as ivy and pachysandra

Ask a Question