The pond dig has begun!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
We had our first frost last night, it was a very light frost, but I had a thin layer of ice on truck windshield. I covered the garden with a big tarp, and the other declicate stuff with a blanket. Why do we try to squeeze a few more days out of summer, cause it's just going to freeze again soon.

CE, so you don't run the stream that connects the big koi pond with the goldfish pond, cause if you had them connecting you would only need the one heater then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Colleen, yes, I kept the stream running last winter. However, that stream does not actually connect the two ponds as far as sharing water. The stream is an optical illusion, making it look like the koi pond overflows into the stream, which flows into the goldfish pond. BUT, the ponds don't share water at all, only if I overflow the koi pond. The stream is fed by the skimmer in the goldfish pond, which has a line that runs along the side of the stream, to the top, then running to the bottom where it empties back into the goldfish pond. Hope that makes sense. So, I only had to run the floating heaters when the temps got cold really fast, to open a hole, then the air or water bubblers were enough to keep the hole open and usually kept half of the water surface open. It gets far colder where you are, so I understand why you have to keep your heater running more than I would have to. The only thing that froze solid and quit several times was the waterfall, but that was I think because the water line went outside of the pond, and ran on top of the ground up the waterfall edge to the top, and that was too long of a line even with water running to keep it open. Either that or the pump quit for some reason, and thus the lines froze. Anyhow, I've moved that line, it is now on the inside edge of the waterfall, and buried under some dirt and behind the waterfall wall. This way, if any connection breaks, it will empty back into the pond, and not empty the pond like I had happen last year! Also, I wrapped the water line with insulation like Sissy suggestions, so hoping that will help as well. I wrap the Skippy with insulation board to try to keep the warmth of the water in there, too. We shall see ... learning as I go, and trying new things each year to see what works and what doesn't. :banana:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Made our first fire in the wood stove today. Rained off and on and just downright chilly!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If the water flows fast enough threw the hose, the hose won't freeze no matter how cold it gets. I never insulate my hoses and they never froze even in minus 40 degrees. If you switch the hose for a smaller hose, the water will run faster and not freeze. But I think your skippy froze first, as it goes into a large barrel and the water would loose too much water pressure and freeze. Also, if the power goes out when very cold, it would freeze fast as the water is not moving at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeah, I think it all had to do with the pump itself quitting. Maybe it doesn't like the very cold water, and shuts down. I never knew for sure, as I was not sitting there listening to the pump running. I bet you are right, though. I always wondered if it was the pump, but when I would unplug and plug it back in, voila, it would run again, once the lines were unfrozen. And, the Skippy never did freeze, until a while after the water quit running into it, so don't think that was the problem.
JW, my daughter in UT had the first fire in her wood stove last night, too. Said it was going to get down to 36 last night, and she refuses to pay for heat this time of year. LOL
I'm hoping for a much lower electric bill this next bill, since no AC running!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Since it has been so dry here for the last few months, I'm not able to divide and transplant stuff like I wanted to do the last few weekends. So, today I decided to get the lilies all groomed one more time. Water was 62 degrees in the koi pond, probably little warmer in the goldfish pond. Chilly, yes, but not so bad once I was in there. Lots of lily pads and stems to be removed. Probably last time I'll go in to do that chore this year. Also set up the air bubbler (koi pond) and water bubbler (goldfish pond). When I try to lower them into the pond on milk crates, they tend to want to roll and not land with the bubbler on the top. So, this year I got smart and put them in while I was in the pond. MUCH easier!
Also, while I was messing in the water, I decided to get rid of all of the cattails in the koi pond. They had gotten to be an eyesore since I can't see past them into the back yard from the deck. So, here are before and after pics.
Before and after from the deck view:
Before removing cattails.JPGAfter cattail removal.JPG
And before and after from the back side of the bog, looking toward the house:
Backside of koi bog before removing cattails.JPGAfter cattail removal backside of bog.JPG
Here's what I removed ... I have no idea how many cattails I removed, but while I was in there, I also took advantage of pulling most of the penny wart. Moving all the pea gravel clouded up the pond, but the bog went clear almost immediately when I was done.
LOTS of cattails and penny wart removed.JPG
And, spotted this tiny (less than 1" long) frog on the bog edge rocks.
Small frog on bog edge rock.JPG
And then this very large leopard frog was a very friendly one, jumped on my foot while I was pulling grass from some day lilies, and then hung around by the skimmer on the koi pond.
Leopard frog was friendly.JPGLeopard frog on skimmer.JPG
And, last but not least, this leopard frog was much smaller than the one above, maybe 1/3 the size. Wondering if a male, or maybe just young. The one above was very fat, so likely a female. Do you think they are the same type of frog? The smaller one is much more vibrant in color, or maybe because it was hiding under the Lamb's Ear it darted to for cover.
Smaller leopard frog hiding.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like what you did removing all those cattails. You can see much better and I didn't even know that swing was behind it all. You have so many nice froggies and they're so big compared to mine. I found one in our woodshed when I was getting firewood to make our first fire yesterday. He must have been looking for a nice dry spot to spend the winter. I just let him stay there and hope he doesn't get squished in there when we are getting the wood out. Pouring down rain here like crazy.........wish I could send it all your way! Had a power outage for about 1 hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yeah, dry as a bone here. Supposed to rain tonight, but the front last time I looked, was moving really slow. Who knows if it will have anything left by the time it gets here. I sure hope it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, though, since my son wants to finish the well housing. My luck, it will not rain until morning, and then rain him out. Worst part of that is that Oct. 1 is beginning of deer bow hunting here in IL, and he's a sharp shooter with his bow! Get this ... he shot the bulls eye with one arrow, then split that arrow with another arrow! That's a sharp shooter in my book. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Woohoo, perfect ... well almost perfect. Got .45" of rain during the night, and all the rain has moved out of my area. It's cloudy and cooler, only getting up to 70, but perfect working weather. Hope my son gets here soon ... we have a full day of work to get done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, my son came over, we got a late start, then realized stupid me got 8' instead of 10' ... 2x10's for the fascia. So, I had to hurry to exchange them at Menards. On the way, son calls, "We didn't get any outside corners for the siding." So, it all worked out ok. Got back, and I even got to help put siding on! Not that I'm a pro now, but pretty sure I could do the dog kennel building myself now! Woohoo!!!! I'm so excited to have been able to help and cut siding (vinyl) and put it up. Here is what we got done today. I actually did all the siding that is on, except for the first couple of boards. Matt put up the starter strip, so I couldn't go wrong! And he did all the cutting out and fitting in the soffit and trim pieces.
Fascia boards going on.JPGThen soffit.JPGFirst side of siding started.JPGSecond side sided.JPGThird side.JPGFourth side, and soffit finished.JPG
Denali and her son watched us work. Brought his crate outside and he laid either in it or next to it most of the time, except when he was wrestling with his mom or the other dogs.
Denali and son.JPG
Matt will come again tomorrow and get the rest of the siding done (the hard part, where he has to cut angles to fit to the roof line) and maybe the door! I'm so proud of him. He does excellent workmanship. My sister said, "Is that fancy building just to cover your well?" Told her my pump and plumbing is on TOP of the concrete pad, so I have to protect it from the weather. Already have replaced the pump because it froze and split. That's an expensive fix. And, can't put the pump down in the well, because it's an old well, 2 very large pieces of concrete cover it, and no way to lift them if need to get to the pump. Just have to leave it the way it is, and cover it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It's done, except for hinges and handle/bolt on the door, and I will paint the bare wood white to match the rest. Actually, thinking of painting the outside corners and frame of the door maroon, to go with the big barn which is white sides and maroon roof! We shall see ...
Completed well housing.JPGWest and north sides.JPG
Everyone says this is too fancy of a "building" to just house my well pump and pipes. However, if you're going to house them, you might as well build something that will look nice, and last a lifetime! That's how my son was taught, and that's how he built the building. All treated lumber and posts buried 3'. It will definitely last my lifetime! And, with fixing up the old barns and buildings around it, pretty soon my place will look much newer than when I purchased it 4 years ago! I'm already to a great start!

Ask a Question