The pond dig has begun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm going to be shipping out some more of the Karly Rose Grass to MtPond, and was glad that I kept the 8 or 10 more starts of it from when I sent some out earlier this past week. Well, another ponder is interested possibly in some Creeping Jenny, and since I have several areas that it's growing where I don't want it, thought I would post it here, in case anyone wants some of it. It's a GREAT spreader (thanks JW for sending me initial start 2 years ago!!!) and gets little yellow flowers on it in the spring, anytime now I think. Here are some pics I just took of it (keep in mind rain just stopped, been raining on it all morning, so it's somewhat flatter than normal) showing where I want to remove it.
Creeping Jenny.JPGJapanese Maple, Hosta, Creeping Jenny, plant from UT Foam Flower.JPG
It gets to stay along the waterfall and between the deck and pond in these photos.
Creeping Jenny and other plants.JPGCreeping Jenny on waterfall edge.JPG
Here's Lamb's Ear. I also have 2 large plants of this that I would send starts of. I bought one plant I think maybe 2 years ago, separated it into 3 small areas, and now I have 3 very large plants. It's great for groundcover, spreads easily and drowns out weeds completely. It only gets about 8" tall, very soft leaves, kind of a grayish light green in color.
Lamb's Ear.JPG
And the parrot's feather I bought last year is coming back nicely. This is in my stream, also have some in pots in the goldfish pond. There is also some of the ludwigia (I think that's what we decided it was called) from my farm pond that is sprouting.
Parrot's Feather and Ludwigia in stream.JPG
And, last but not least, here is the Water Fringe (had to look this one up, forgot the name) that I bought last year. It looks similar to pond lily, and is growing here in the stream, but also have a start of it between rocks in the water in goldfish pond. It has a really pretty fringed yellow flower, looks a lot like a fringed mini daffodil.
Water Fringe.JPG
So, if anyone would like a start (or more) of Creeping Jenny or Lamb's Ear, let me know. The other plants are not going anywhere, I'm just finally getting them growing well. Woohoo!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, I got all the petunias planted in the hanging baskets. It was a chore, as I use the coco liners, and always have to replace them each year. But, I always buy them on sale, 99 cents each, so not too bad. Also replaced the coco liners on the deck railing planters. This time, I put a plastic grocery bag in each liner before the soil. The idea is help hold the moisture in the pot, rather than leeching out through the sides and bottom. We'll see if that works. I made holes in the bottom of the bags, but the sides should help hold moisture.
I got little yellow and white striped Million Bells and deep purple regular sized petunias for each pot for out front, and then purple or marroon and white striped regular size and white will yellow center million bells for the shepherds hooks in the back.
Four more potted plants done.JPGTwo more potted plants.JPG
This will be my new project area this year. I made too tight of an inside curve for my big mower, so going to kill all the grass in this area and mulch it, eventually plant stuff in here. The wisteria will go kind of center of the side closest to the deck/pond. There will be a stepping stone walkway and then a bed on the other side of the walkway, too. This will be my "separate and move to here" bed, and clearance items bed later this summer. For those of you that believe in ghosts, check out the orb in the top right corner of the first pic! The sun was behind me ... you figure this one out. There is nothing on the top of that shed either ...
Wisteria and potted plants ... and ORB!.JPG
This pic shows the outer edge planned for the new curve.
Outside edge for new flower bed.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wish I was doing what you were doing instead of this wood cutting! Your hanging baskets look really nice CE and I know what you mean about making those lawn curves too tight...............I've had to do some changes that way also. Maybe that orb thing is a bunch of sissy's or Colleen's fairies coming for a visit making magical things happen in that tool shed for you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Ooooo ... now that would be wonderful! I soooo want one of Sissy's fairy rocks. Never seen anything like that before. Very unique. I have rocks and shells I've collected on vacations, and when they are small, they go in small glass containers in my bathroom on the counter. I love to see them there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice!! Well it looks like we are moving to my other smaller house...youngest daughter is moving back to nebraska and since she and her fiance are young I figured she and he can move into this house and me and the significant other can move into mine.......here we go again I gotta build a new pond!!!!!! BUT BIGGER THIS TIME :d !!!!!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh dear you are using THAT as an excuse for a bigger pond rebelangel ,shame on you :cheerful: I guess we get to watch you slave over the building of it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CE, Your plants are looking great. I was planting petunias this weekend too in planters. There are no impatients for sale yet here but they go in the shadier places in our yard. I put the petunias in full sun. It seems like the sooner I plant them the better they hold up during the hot summer months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I just bought I think 4 - 9 packs of the Wave Petunias, Keith. I usually plant them in the front flower beds ... the ones that I don't look at nearly as much as the back flower beds, where I enjoy the ponds. I got burgandy and white striped ones, and white ones to mix in between them. Hoping they will really cover the ground in front, and be really showy. We shall see!
Oh, and I decided I didn't want the wisteria where I showed it in the pic. It will get too big (from what I'm seeing around town of others!!!) and I don't want the view to the barn blocked totally. So, I bought 1.5" PVC pipe, and I'm going to make a trellis that is going to be 10' tall by 5' wide, with 4 "ladder" pieces. I think that should be quite sturdy, what do you guys think? My plan is to sink 2 "T" posts in the ground about 4', and have 3' above ground to slide the trellis on. Or, maybe 3' in the ground, 4' above? If I don't have 7' "T" posts, I'll get 2, or the tallest ones they have! The $25 arbor is just NOT going to ever hold up that sucker. Thanks everyone for warning me not to put it on my tree trunk where I have my bird feeders. That just would not do either.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a wisteria on a back fence, it has been run over by a mulch truck, smacked by my tractor, poor thing, finally starting to grow, even had a flower this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My sister has them in AZ, HTH, pretty sure they are not hardy in my Zone 6.
Here are some other ground covers that prefer shade. Is it called Ajuga? Really a pretty plant. I like it way more than the pachysandra or whatever the other green one is I have growing in the shade. That one is too leggy, love this one it's so compact and has lots of color.
Ajuga .JPGAjuga low spreader for shade.JPG

Ask a Question