j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had a lovely smaller variety of bougainvillea once in a pot and brought it in the house during winter and it lived that way for a few years. No more tho, it died finally and don't do plants that can't survive on their own outdoors anymore.

2005 Bougainvilla.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Is that the smaller Bougainvillea in the white pot? I used to work in a greenhouse that grew the bigger pink and purple kind, but the bugs here always love them, and I don't want any bugged out plants anymore.... the greenhouse used to spray them constantly for bugs, you could never really ever get rid of them darn white fly bugs!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everything here is live or die mode, live you get to stay die you are gone. No desire to baby plants. Even the elephant ears are sort of on their last might not do again legs.

The white star grass shocked me by coming back, in a pot, frozen hard, no care and regrowing. Not rated for here, so it gets to live lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Colleen that is the smaller kind and it did like to get bugs and I'd have to spray it all the time. No more Boogie plants for me!

Reaction score
No!!!!! Not the elephant ears!!!! Speaking of which, I need to get them in the ground! I need to get a lot of stuff in the ground....sigh... :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That right JW, no time for plants that get bugged, too many other things to grow instead. I see my black beans are getting bugged but my lential beans are so beautiful, the are light and "airy", small paper thin leafs, and I like the way they hang nice. I will try to get a picture, got to go, Bear is barking, got to go ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sweet sounds at my ponds tonight! Got a couple of toads chirping, the big bullfrog that has taken up residence in the goldfish pond (and loves to watch me when I'm messing around, never jumps away ... he must have been here last year) was croaking earlier. Oh how I love the sounds of spring!
My goldfish pond bog is getting much less crowded in the last couple of weeks! I'll have room for my Obedient Plants that are soon to be on their way to me! I've not had any luck growing Elephant ears, even bringing them inside for winter, or drying out the bulbs. Hoping to learn the trick from T'Mann.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW, do you remember the pretty little tiny frogs I had the first year with my pond, in 2011? They were gray with pretty lime green markings on their back, each one was different. I had posted lots of pics. Well, never saw them last year, and none so far this year either. Must have something to do with the bullfrogs that are at the pond, and maybe they chase them away or eat them! I really liked having different sizes and types of frogs that first year. Maybe this year I will get them again ... otherwise, will have to be satisfied with the bullfrogs and green frogs or whatever they all are. LOL Oh, also have had a few leopard frogs.
Tonight, when I got home from work, a Great Blue Heron was on my farm pond. He's been there before (or another one). I went into the house to grab my camera, but it was raining, so couldn't take a "drive by" pic, and he flew as soon as I slowed down. I stalked him, and he stalked my pond for 2 hours after that! LOL My farm pond, not my backyard ponds. He better stay away, but I know my farm pond is shallow, and he should have plenty to eat from there without having to snatch any of my lovely babies.
Bought 3 larger sized fantails at the pet store tonight, and totally didn't think about taking pics of them before put them into the pond! Darn it!!! Two are tri colored speckled fantails, and the 3rd one is pure white. I don't think I've ever seen a pure white one, so thought that would show up well. One of the tri colored ones was VERY fat, and I mean twice as fat as the other one, and even more so than the white. Either they are different types, or that one is a female, and the white one is a male, different body style, definitely not a female belly. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope it stays away CE they like easy pickings.

Neat about your new fish

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn yes you should have taken pix CE, now what are we supposed to do? Maybe you can catch them sometime posing in the pond when they get more relaxed. Too bad about your little froggies moving on.............maybe they packed their bags and headed here for the Summer? We have nice mild weather and lots of moisture to keep their pretty skin all shiny and fresh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... I know that Roundup can kill frogs, but I don't spray it until after the little frogs usually showed up. They are usually the first to start singing in the spring, spring peepers. But, wondering if that has anything to do with them not showing up the last 2 summers. I remember my daughter saying she didn't much care for the frogs singing so early in the a.m. 2 summers ago when she came home for a week during that time when the little ones with the loud mouths were singing. That was year #1 for me. Not seen them since. I have a feeling it has something to do with either the bullfrogs, or the fish getting bigger and eating them ... probably the latter, but the goldfish are less likely to eat a frog, and none on that pond either. Oh well, won't worry much. I have lots of other frogs that will show up. Some are small, not sure if they are immature bull or green frogs, or just a smaller size of frog, about 2". But the little guys were maybe 1" full grown.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe they will come back if you have your daughter come over and stay for awhile. They would come back just to annoy her w/ their singing :biggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hearing the bullfrogs on the farm pond this morning. The one solitary bullfrog (so far, since earlier this spring) waits to sing until evening. He's such a good boy, always in the same spot in the goldfish pond, right at the bog overflow. Except for right now, since I tried to go take a pic of him!!! Did hear two "plops" of frogs that scooted away before I spotted them, so likely green frogs or maybe small peepers ... hoping.
Here's the Great Blue that was near my farm pond couple of days ago. He is NOT welcome in my yard but he can fish all he wants in my farm pond, which is very shallow, exactly to his liking.
He flew before I could get a closer pic of him, but just to a little ways out in the field. I waited a while and then snuck up behind the pond, to get a pic of him sneaking back to the farm pond.
Fly away home.JPGStay far far away ....JPG
Then he spotted me and flew again, but not too far, just behind the barns. Watched him for over an hour, slowly making his way back to the farm pond.
Out in the field.JPG
They are very patient birds, as others have testified. I sure hope he stays away from my pond. I know I should put up some deterrants, but for now, we are on a "wait and see" basis .... hope I'm not wrong. Told my dogs it's their DUTY to keep him away!

Ask a Question