sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wisteria needs something really sturdy to grow on and can be very invasive .I know I am trying to get rid of the one I grew on my bridge,It actually broke the supports and they were doubled up 2x4's and the roots were coming up by the basement walls

Attachments

• all round 2012 004.JPG
    all round 2012 004.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ha sissy I see you have a lil house there by your bridge...I came home from work tonight the the other half built me something like what you have to put over our electrical outside by the pond! Pretty kewl idea!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that was the stuff I had built for my other small pond .There are 3 houses and an out house and bridge.My first pond 4 pics I did not have my digital camera then.My big out house and there is a gaurd on duty :cheerful:

Attachments

• murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 176
  • out house 002.JPG
    out house 002.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll have to take a pic of it tmrw...I have to add the window/door frames and paint it yet...but he was pretty pleased with himself when he showed me what he had done today while I was at work (and he is no carpenter lol) but he did a great job!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Self taught so no big builder myself but learn by doing .When you own a house and need things done and don't have the money ,you learn .My first and second house taught me a lot .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
farm raised here and I was dads right hand "man" so ya I learned to do alot myself (especially after I got divorced) was glad dad taught me a thing or two...but the other half is a "pencil usher" at work and never really has had a reason to do anything like that...so he was proud of himself lol He's been learning more and more about doing thing around the house (have remodeled my house and landscaping the yard myself with his help and that of my daughters "contractor" fiancee phew thank God someone who knows what they are doing on some things!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I heard wisteria can rip gutters and siding off of a house, so knew not to place it anywhere near the house. Not sure this will hold it up, but we shall see! I didn't glue the lower sections, so if need by, I will do the cross bracing on the lower sections, too. Just a matter of cutting the side supports shorter and adding fittings. Easy. I glued only the top section, but not the top section to the side posts, just for that reason! I suspect it will need more support, but it's done for now. Won't need it for a few years anyhow.
Rebel, good for your husband! As Sissy says, you can learn by doing. After my divorce, I learned soooo much about my lawn mower! It would not start, was a stupid thing, but since I didn't figure out the "stupid" part of it (I was using the gas lever as the choke and visa versa ... DUH!!!), I learned where the air and fuel filters are, how to check fuel pump, and how to grease the sucker. So, it paid for me to ask questions. I love to learn, just leary to do it the first time on my own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sweet country! Yup when in doubt since my dad passed away I hit the internet to fix (or build) alot of stuff around here myself. Can save a ton of money and feel like you've accomplished something!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
diy these days is so easy with the puter and you tube back when I first started it was learn as you do .I remember even working on my mom and dads house .Took a lot to learn back then .I wish I had all this and it helps a lot to go on you tube seems you can find a video for everything these days .I took care of dads chain saws so learned a lot about things like that at the age of 8 .I would rather do it myself because here if you hire some one they only do it to code I do it code + it pays in the end .No problems later .Like the roof on the front porch building inspector never even heard of ice and water shield and why you put it on before you shingle .Could have used 4x4 's for the front porch but I used 6x6 's and 2x2 pickets are attached on the inside of the rails .Why would you ever want to attach them from the out side ,so they can be kicked out ,duh at the height of my front porch safety first .They don't even require joist hangers here or hurricane ties ,how dumb can codes be .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I really enjoyed watching my son build my deck. Had never seen one built from the beginning to the end. Learned a lot in that project, and then removing the old window and putting in sliding glass door, too. But, I'm sitting here with no trim around that door, because I have yet to ask him to finish it, so now I bought myself a used miter saw, so someday ... I will get that trim done, and if I do a good enough job, may just retrim the whole kitchen and dining room. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here is the Sweet Bay Magnolia tree that I got from Fishylove! It's really doing well, and was getting ready to plant it, then wondered if it is a bush, or tree, and if I should separate it if it's a tree, because I think there are at least 4 or 5 stems in there! Looks really good and healthy ... guess the weak solution of Miracle Grow daily is doing a good job.
Sweet Bay Magnolia .JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found this on Dave's garden site for ya about them CE. I'd separate each one if I were you if they really are separate trees otherwise I'd think you'd end up w/ them trying to compete for water and nourishment and it says they can get to 30ft or more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2455/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, guess what? Fishy says they are not the Magnolia trees, she and I are both laughing trying to figure out what they really are! I need that flower forum again to post the pic to, see what the plants are. She sent me a lot of different type of "land" plants, so not sure what is what. I'll post a close up, in case anyone on here can tell more from a close up. Fishy says it DOES look like the tree at the base (the leaves there are larger, and I thought it was a weed, but the top of that same plant looks like the others ...), but otherwise doesn't look like her magnolia starts she has. Probably swapped 2 marked bags, so now I'm wondering what I planted thinking it was something else, that is in fact the magnolia tree! :blueflower:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hey, Fishy, here is another pic of that plant at the base of the "unknown" plant that may in fact be a magnolia. It's somewhat wilted this morning (didn't get up until 10 LOL, missed it's morning watering). The other "rogue" plant is in the front of the pic, but the one in my hand is what I'm talking about, and the next pic shows the whole plant.
Magnolia tree maybe.JPGSweet Bay Magnolia maybe.JPG
So ... if you think this smaller plant in that pot is the Sweet Bay Magnolia, I will remove it and pot it separately. If not, then we'll wait and see what comes of this whole plant. If it's a weed, I'm pretty sure I have plenty of them. LOL But, it's likely some other type of flower, although it sure is growing fast now ....
Here is the coreopsis, which I thought was red, but maybe there are two plants in this spot, and the first one to bloom is yellow. :blueflower:
coreopsis.JPG

Ask a Question