sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my last house and yard .I guess as we get older we then realize all the work and money we have put into something .Was it all really worth it just to make something pretty or is this a syndrome of age

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my last house and yard .I guess as we get older we then realize all the work and money we have put into something .Was it all really worth it just to make something pretty or is this a syndrome of age
Think of it this way; did you enjoy the process and gain anything from the completed project? If so, how can you put a value on that type of 'quality' of life? Also, was there something else you wished you'd done during that time instead? There are users and takers, creators and givers. Figure out which one you are and the definition of 'is it worth it' or not is answered. No matter what age you are. In the end though, we only take (and leave) the memory of how we helped others, and that includes Nature, imo.

Michael

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Think of it this way; did you enjoy the process and gain anything from the completed project? If so, how can you put a value on that type of 'quality' of life? Also, was there something else you wished you'd done during that time instead? There are users and takers, creators and givers. Figure out which one you are and the definition of 'is it worth it' or not is answered. No matter what age you are. In the end though, we only take (and leave) the memory of how we helped others, and that includes Nature, imo.

Michael
I have loved doing everything I did, still do changes to benefit the bees birds bugs. Just can not do a start over, blank canvas.
I hated all the grass, now I have converted about 1/2 of our grass to plants and ponds. Probably 1 plus acres.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reason I said that after all the love I put into the house in NJ and it looks terrible now .My neighbor from there sent pics and it broke my heart to see that the house has been so totally neglected .Of course I got my money back trifold but that is not the real reason I did the work .Makes me wonder what will happen to this house .Sad to think all the love and work you put into something and people will let it all go to pot .I wish he had not sent me the pics .I know he did not think about and made a better judgement about the pics .I am a neat freak when it comes to certain things and wish I could do a flower field but knowing me I could not do that .I would probably be out there trying to pull weeds ,I can't even let 1 weed grow ,if I sit down on the front porch and see a weed somewhere out on the property I have to go pull it .I can never rest if I can see it .Sounds crazy HUH ;):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
doesn't sound crazy at all to me, sissy. I totally undestand where you're coming from and wonder what'll happen when I'm gone, etc too. I built this house and hopefully will be here until the end, for just the reasons you state. Thing is, what you're really venting about is how it seems the American culture has had slippage in priorities. What you value, what you valued, isn't being mirrored anymore by society, imo. Sad isn't even a strong enough word. So, when you DO come across those that care enough to feel bad about decay and apathy for what used to be considered good, rejoice in their company and the memories they bring. You earned them, you understand what value really is.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
KIMG0645.JPG
20170906_193813.jpg
KIMG0645.JPG
20170906_193813.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Shame when people want the pretty yard and a big yard and then let it grow and get ugly .Every new house here that were built all had pretty landscaping builder put in and now the gardens are all full of weeds and the houses look old and unloved .They have mold growing on the siding .They were all built in the last 5 years .I love your patio pond patfish .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shame when people want the pretty yard and a big yard and then let it grow and get ugly .Every new house here that were built all had pretty landscaping builder put in and now the gardens are all full of weeds and the houses look old and unloved .They have mold growing on the siding .They were all built in the last 5 years .I love your patio pond patfish .
sissy, what I've found in my years as a landscaper, that what used to be a passion/responsibility to your neighbors has dissipated. Now, seems people put all their money and interest INSIDE the house, or worse, momentary capitalistic goals. There's very few now that I see that actually WANT a flower garden let alone 'decent yard'. But, I don't complain as that's how I make a living. Not the way it was when I grew up but surely is part of the American culture now. No vision, all for the moment, and more and more selfish. That one cartoon in the Joke of the Day thread says it all; the head angel is telling the prospective newcomer he had a great life--too bad he was looking at his phone the whole time and missed it.

I imagine though, that my parents shook their head at the culture I grew up in, as decidedly different from theirs. I bet the 60s (and maybe late 50s) just caused them a lot of gray hair, still, we grew up in it. I think I was fortunate though because I can easily see how life had more taste back then, compared to now. And it's NOT because I'm getting older--I've always felt this way.

Like I said though, smile when you find a like-minded individual that understands what you're saying.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And so much safer .This world of cell phones is getting worse .I have seen people sitting on their front porch and all they are doing is texting instead of enjoying the beauty around them .I guess being old fashioned is not a great thing any more .I prefer to talk to people and see and smell my world.If there are flowers and birds are they silent and do not have scent if you do not see them or smell them .I don't mind my puter because i helps me learn things and see things I may never have seen or learned about .I guess my neighbors think I am a little crazy , but if they need help or advice on a repair around their houses they seem to seek me out .All I see is a me world and not an us world .I survived the us world and lived to love it and miss it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And so much safer .This world of cell phones is getting worse .I have seen people sitting on their front porch and all they are doing is texting instead of enjoying the beauty around them .I guess being old fashioned is not a great thing any more .I prefer to talk to people and see and smell my world.If there are flowers and birds are they silent and do not have scent if you do not see them or smell them .I don't mind my puter because i helps me learn things and see things I may never have seen or learned about .I guess my neighbors think I am a little crazy , but if they need help or advice on a repair around their houses they seem to seek me out .All I see is a me world and not an us world .I survived the us world and lived to love it and miss it .
Amen, sissy

Ask a Question