The UV-C "An important thing to get just right"...

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh well, still sounds easier then treating the saltwater version. ( if you can keep the malachite green off of everything)

I once was treating a seahorse(but not for ich) and had some malachite green in a syringe. I had too many things to grab, so I put the syringe in my mouth sideways(like you would a pencil) When I got done, I had a streak on my cheek. lol

Can you still buy formalin? I thought they banned that stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Formalin or Formaldhyde yes you can and yes I agree malchite is a pain as it seems to have a mind of its own even if you are extremely careful with it your still going to get it on your hands .
Here in the UK the only banned treatments are Dimlin Powder and Mercurome the last for the obvious reason having a Mercury content , its one I never liked to use.

Dave

Reaction score
It would only be effective against ich if all if the bacteria actually went through the sterilized. Ich attaches to the fish and feeds and then drops off and can split multiply itself by up to 10.
This is somewhat true, ich has 3 stages in life that 1 stage being on the fish. It protects against free floating ich, sorry don't know the exact name, and that is the step you get them. The uv light is not an all in one system and folks tend to believe that if it is plugged in.... your protected. There is different flow rates that are needed to kill parasites, bacteria, and algae spores.

Ask a Question