TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
yeah cant say the same about American Tilapia, no answer and havent heard back yet... I will check them out!
edit to my post: they just got back to me, shipping is actually pretty fast, so I will probably go with the HDRPE

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have cut my hdrpe, it has not frayed at all. Edges exposed still in great shape. Handles deer hooves digging into it. Etc.

I researched the diff between epdm and hdrpe when I bought, the hdrep had a lot better ratings burst strength etc. Been 11 yes since I did so a soft recall of all I read.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have cut my hdrpe, it has not frayed at all. Edges exposed still in great shape. Handles deer hooves digging into it. Etc.

I researched the diff between epdm and hdrpe when I bought, the hdrep had a lot better ratings burst strength etc. Been 11 yes since I did so a soft recall of all I read.
Just ordered it, I think it will at least be interesting to see what the material is like! ( and oh my gosh is it so much cheaper )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
had to go with edpm myself not one pond builder uses anything else and i know epdm very well put it in a hd underlayment sandwich and it's not going anywhere for decades

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
had to go with edpm myself not one pond builder uses anything else and i know epdm very well put it in a hd underlayment sandwich and it's not going anywhere for decades
Makes sense, that is also why I used epdm on my main pond, I just saw it around more often. We will have to see how I like this new material!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

If you watch some of the larger build series on YouTube, PE type liners are being used all the time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
true but those are relatively flat pitched ponds. as a replacement for clay or bentonite

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check out some of the huge commercial rec ponds that Aquascape has done in the last few years. Several of them are using PE. And 100s of tons of boulders over them.
I would use nothing else, if building another pond, which is not going to happen.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Check out some of the huge commercial rec ponds that Aquascape has done in the last few years. Several of them are using PE. And 100s of tons of boulders over them.
Alright if aquascape is using it in ponds then I am sold. I wonder why they don't use it in smaller backyard ponds as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Alright if aquascape is using it in ponds then I am sold. I wonder why they don't use it in smaller backyard ponds as well?

A few reasons I can think of:

1. It’s harder to work with in small ponds with shelves and tight curves.

2. No factory seams to work about.

3. Customers might already know and trust EPDM, so no need to educate the customer.

4. Better profit margin.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
A few reasons I can think of:

1. It’s harder to work with in small ponds with shelves and tight curves.

2. No factory seams to work about.

3. Customers might already know and trust EPDM, so no need to educate the customer.

4. Better profit margin.
I guess that does make sense, I hope its not to difficult for myself to work with in such a small space!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess that does make sense, I hope its not to difficult for myself to work with in such a small space!
I think it’s worth the trouble when you’re DIYing. Maybe not when you’re trying to run a business, meet tight schedules, and have a crew that is already trained up on EPDM.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I think it’s worth the trouble when you’re DIYing. Maybe not when you’re trying to run a business, meet tight schedules, and have a crew that is already trained up on EPDM.
most of it will be covered with pea gravel anyway so I am hoping it wont be a huge deal.

Ask a Question