TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Got a little update! The pond liner has not shown up yet, so I am at a bit of a standstill, but I am doing what I can.

I got a ton of pea gravel:
A0DBBCA9-C4B4-439C-AE20-E342E07D073D.jpeg

Loaded into our half ton truck that made an interesting ride home.

I have yet to get any larger cobbles for the base layer, so that will probably happen sometime this week.

I also impulse bought some goldfish.
FE474103-EEEB-4296-B3A9-67FBC65570B9.jpeg

For reference you can see a smaller fancy goldfish in front of the two orange ones. Those are some massive fish!

They were a great price and I can never resist enormous goldfish. I can’t put them in the pond right now due to tempature, so I will slowly acclimate them down over the course of about two-three weeks.

Here is their current setup for temperature adjustment:

E6F57015-501B-4D0E-888F-2936F5941B52.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just started following you, as a fellow Coloradoan I hope to learn from you as only those who have been here an extended time appreciate the temperature extremes and shifts. I am curious as to your elevation and have you selected any plants for your bog yet?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Just started following you, as a fellow Coloradoan I hope to learn from you as only those who have been here an extended time appreciate the temperature extremes and shifts. I am curious as to your elevation and have you selected any plants for your bog yet?
Thanks! I am at around 5000 feet, not at the top of any mountains but it does still get fairly cold.

I have some irises that were planted in a little pea gravel pocket last season, so those will be going in first. After that I am not sure, I would love cattails, but I know those puncture liner with their roots. I could also go with more creeping jenny, corkscrew rush, and hardy grasses, though I have a lot of those in the pond already.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I haveth another update! American Tilapia delivered the liner. They completely messed up the size but gave me almost double the liner so I am deffinitly not complaining. I ordered a 14x8 and got a 14x14!

I am kinda with GBBUDD as far as this material goes, it looks like a tarp, I don't trust it for one second. I hope yall were right that this stuff can actually hold water!

here is the big giant liner:

IMG_6217.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haveth another update! American Tilapia delivered the liner. They completely messed up the size but gave me almost double the liner so I am deffinitly not complaining. I ordered a 14x8 and got a 14x14!

I am kinda with GBBUDD as far as this material goes, it looks like a tarp, I don't trust it for one second. I hope yall were right that this stuff can actually hold water!

here is the big giant liner:

View attachment 149463
looks like the weather today will be great for pond building! So exciting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They completely messed up the size but gave me almost double the liner so I am deffinitly not complaining. I ordered a 14x8 and got a 14x14!

Nice. Didn’t even know you could buy an 8’ width. Thought they only sold in 5’ increments. Probably easier to send you a bigger one that’s laying around than cut down.

I would test fill before rocking, but would not worry about the quality of material. The fact that it’s a woven material is about the only thing it has in common with a tarp. I don’t even see a factory seam in your liner, so (y).

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Nice. Didn’t even know you could buy an 8’ width. Thought they only sold in 5’ increments. Probably easier to send you a bigger one that’s laying around than cut down.

I would test fill before rocking, but would not worry about the quality of material. The fact that it’s a woven material is about the only thing it has in common with a tarp. I don’t even see a factory seam in your liner, so (y).
this website ( and flordia tilapia, but they are the same company ) is the only place I could find an 8X14, hence why I went with them! After inspecting it more closely, I can see how well each of the woven strands seems to be joint together, and there is no seams. I will deffinitly do a water test though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy , you need to start a new thread and retire from posting on this one! Every time I glance at the title that includes the words, “final pond,” my heart sinks. My initial thought is always, “OH NO!” …..or change the title. (said jokingly, of course — but it does catch me off guard every time….)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
After a couple of weeks of no progress, I finally have some. I got the bog edges rocked in and did the waterfall. I still have to raise the bog edges and foam the waterfall, along with folding and cutting the liner. I am happy with the progress though!

588108F5-2D63-4AD1-B786-92E6E9DFEEFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 74260BD0-DFD4-4503-B3EA-FDF17113874E.jpeg
    74260BD0-DFD4-4503-B3EA-FDF17113874E.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 9

Ask a Question