Thinking of Fall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, the pond has matured nicely over this past year and I am very satified with the results. Fish are growing and seem very happy and water has been clear all summer long.

Well, Fall is quickly approaching!

In preparation to cover the pond with netting to prevent the leaves from littering the pond. I was wondering if it would hurt to trim the cattails down? I have no problem with the grasses, but was not sure about the cattails.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 223

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you want to trim your cattails, make sure to trim ABOVE the waterline. Trimming lower can result in the roots rotting over the winter. Why do you want to trim them anyway? I find they add some interest to the pondscape in the bleak winter months.
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wanted to trim them down to be able to cover the whole area with a net to prevent leaves from intruding the pond. I was thinking of trimming to about 6-8 inches above the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does not look like you have a lot of trees around the pond and with that nice edge you have I don't think a lot of leaves could get into your pond.

I put up one piece of deer net between the pond and the apple trees that is right next to it, that keeps the leaves from blowing in. I do not have an edge like yours.
I also have a huge maple tree right behind the pond, 20 feet or so, with the prominent wind direction those leaves don't get into the pond either. If it was mine I would just watch and see if you start getting leaves. Any that do make it into my pond get scooped out with a net. Very few make it in.

the maple tree is the one you can see, the two apple trees are to the right of the shubbie tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Addy what a beautiful pond!!!!
Is there anything you recommend that could be used to prevent the neighbor's pine needles from being blown into my pond? There is a single story garage and workshop between the pond and the trees, but they still get blown in.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Leaves will find their way to your pond. It's like they have pond radar. I have a 6 foot fence next to my pond, the garage is on the other side of my pond, a pergola with a lattice roof over my pond and no trees, my neighbor has no trees, but come Fall, there are leaves in my pond :banghead3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all....was wondering if there is any kind of netting that would block the pine needles but that seems pretty ludicrous now that I think about it! Oh well!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing you can use to keep pine needles out is window screening .I sewed pockets in mine a put long electrical conduit inside the pockets and laid it across my pond.You can see the window screen under the cloth I had there .Still did not put up shade sail because I plan on putting a garden and mulch around the pond
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57850]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57524]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:55870]

Attachments

• home 002.JPG
    home 002.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 186

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to use pvc and pipe clamps to shape it and attach it to the bridge .Works great all year round to keep critters out and anything else

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
window screening is cheap electrical conduit was 6 dollars for 15 ft and you could use pvc pipe but it may sag a little and to sew the pockets I used a quilting needle and fishing line .Been in place and used for over 4 years now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes-- I love that idea.
Here is a pic of "Joey The Goose" fishing for my new Reds.....don't think she caught any though!
I let her in the pond once a day for a few minutes just to play around and primp.

Attachments

• Joey and the Reds.mov
    2 MB · Views: 184

Ask a Question