This is the saddest time of the year....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I prefer a rest from ponding it gives you time to think about what you can change and dream about next year .That is unless it is a bad winter then it scares the begeebbers out of me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm thinking about covering my pond during the coldest part of the winter. I'm thinking of a simple wooden A frame design, with heavy plastic . I'm attending our local koi club meeting this week end, so will seek out ideas.

I had two yellow water lilies blooming today :)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
ok i can start and said i'm busy with my tank now (not doing any pond maintanance at the moment... rain rain rain) and I just got a new substrate and plants for my tank and i'm loving the look of it.

View attachment 86744
View attachment 86745

Do you see my blue crayfish?

The goldfish is going nuts with the new substrate though... I couldnt keep the plants in.
What is the substrate ? looks like either hard pack soil or black gravel ? I used to have a planted terrarium that had clay as the substrate but I came in one day to discover that Jeckle & Redils had ransacked the plants and dug a crater in the substrate so... that was the end of the whole "live plants" idea :cautious:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I was just feeling that end of summer melancholy myself @Mmathis . Our cool nights put an early end to our impatiens that we plant in our waterfalls - all dead overnight. So sad. They all need to be pulled out, but I can hardly bring myself to do it. I always replace them with pumpkins and gourds for some fall color - time to get to the pumpkin farm!
My friend has impatiens too and says they die pretty easily. It is almost as if they are impatient to die... sorry :censored:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am going to put plastic over my hoop house over the pond to hopefully help it warm up during the day .It is only going to be over half the pond

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I am going to put plastic over my hoop house over the pond to hopefully help it warm up during the day .It is only going to be over half the pond
I thought about getting a hoop house to make a greenhouse. They are definitely one of the cheapest options but I am not familiar with them so I dont know if it would be sturdy enough for a greenhouse and large enough too. I want to make one at least 15 by 30 feet so maybe they have one close to that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know on this old house they did one last year for a veteran and the handicapped house ,maybe you could look online .I know I found one on you tube made out of cattle fencing .I really have a beef with this veteran stuff when my hubby and his friends served in the Vietnam war they came home to people calling them baby killers and protests and they got nothing but a slap in the face and here these vets are getting homes .I don't blame the vets I blame society and there look at vets .If they fought in a war they are hero's no matter what war . They served also and came home with injuries both mental and physical and worse half the time when i wrote to hubby he did not get the letters and I would not get a lot of his so i never knew what was going on and now access to the internet makes it easier for vets. and families which is great .My vent sorry to say because I have respect for all vets . and there struggles and hubby i made it but to many of his friends did not :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is the substrate ? looks like either hard pack soil or black gravel ? I used to have a planted terrarium that had clay as the substrate but I came in one day to discover that Jeckle & Redils had ransacked the plants and dug a crater in the substrate so... that was the end of the whole "live plants" idea :cautious:
I bought this thing called something like eco complete substrate... it said to be crushed lava rocks. it came in a bag, in water, and i just have to drain the water before i put in my tank. the water in the bag didnt smell so that's good.

My fish've been haveing fun with the rocks... my crayfish seem to love it too. I have to use larger rocks at the base of the plants and even put some weight around the plants to keep them escaping the ground lol.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
:(, I'm feelin it now. Brought the lighthouse in out of the rain, weather proofed my new air pumps. Don't see the fish much anymore, the waters cold they're not interested in eating. Next thing I do will be add more bio media to the filter box and disconnect the waterfall for winter. There's goes that wonderful sound along with any excitement of seeing live fish inches from me. Truly a sad time for ponding. It's not just the pond tho. I have other interests like being outside for example just not in the wet n cold. I live a hour from Lake Tahoe but since I quit skiing years ago I've no use for snow anymore. Wish I could live in a more temperate climate but then again do I?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I want to build one of those moon base bubble environments except over top of my property so that my house and land will be climate controlled for year round summer and I will only have to deal with winter when I leave the bubble for supplies :cool: That way the ponds will run all the time and I can decide when I want it to rain, be windy or hot & mild et cetera. Talk about dreaming big huh lol :ROFLMAO:

PS: While I'm on the subject, I would not mind having one on the moon too... With a pond and enough supplies for me + 35 astroturtles :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I'm just starting some of the fall/winter pond prep. I trimmed back a lot of the perennials around the pond, and I thinned out some of the zebra grass along the edge as well as it was starting to topple over into the waterfall. I have a LOT of trees on the property and they are starting to drop leaves already, so the skimmer needs to be cleared out twice a day now thanks to the high winds blowing the leaves into the pond. STILL pulling algae out of the pond, too, but I think it's on the wane.

Ask a Question